AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

managing default_cat.mdb

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
robbm2k
279 Views, 2 Replies

managing default_cat.mdb

just curious if anyone else has had problems with independent (some might call stubbron) designers who like to modify/duplicate catalog entries on a whim. i'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to be able to track records that have been added/deleted or modified in the default_cat.mdb file. right now i save a copy of the file regularly and check it against the current file to see if there are any changes made that were inappropriate, but that cant be a bit laborious. thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: robbm2k

One way I handle that is to make the catalogs readable but with no write access. This is of course when the catalog database resides on a server, which thus allows multiple users to access it. So only the ECAD administrator adds or edits the catalog. Another thing I do is make it a practice not to edit the built-in catalog entries at all. Any new or custom symbols I add myself are placed into the MISC_CAT table of the catalog database. This makes it easy for me to merge or even simply copy my custom parts into the catalog that accompanies the next release of ACADE. For example, ACADE 2006 had a catalog file that was 23MB. Meanwhile, the folks at Autodesk were working feverishly it seems to add more parts and when 2007 was released the catalog database was 76MB. But al I had to do was copy my MISC_CAT table into the 2007 catalog and I am up and running. Of course a catalog merge will work as well. I have my project parameters set to look first under the component table and then to the MISC_CAT table if it does not find a match.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: robbm2k

I agree with the last response. I have a network license and "allow" only read only for other users. Although in theory I am doing the same Doug, I make a backup of the default_cat.mdb and then have my working version (never know when or why you would have to go back to the original, but at least you have it if you need it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost