AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make text of an element/block an attribute

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
noamyogev
328 Views, 3 Replies

Make text of an element/block an attribute

Hi All,

Let me first say that im not an AutoCAD user at all, but im trying to do the following:

I have dxf file of an electrical board with all its elements (cb's terminals, mechanics etc...) for each element ( a block) the name is written in a little label placed above the block, and this text label is very important for me, inorder to do some integration and mapping of this dxf to another CAD application i work with.

what I need urgently, is a method to automatically make ALL the labels of each block in this dxf, a block attribute, so i can recognize it in another application. for instance, the AutoCAD operation : AELINKDESC is working ok manually, but the cons are: 1st - i only do it manually 2nd - it ties the text to one of 3 available attributes (DESC1,DESC2,DESC3) and i need all the text to be tied to a single attribute.

I hope there's someone here who can help me.

THANKS ALOT!

Noam

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rhesusminus
in reply to: noamyogev

If you can post a drawing here, or mail one to me (thl@ctrlaltel.com), I'll have a look to see if done can be done with a quick VBA routine.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 4
Icemanau
in reply to: noamyogev

There are a couple of BIG challenges you are going to run into with doing this automatically.

How do you define what text becomes what attribute?

What text goes with what block?

There is a manual function to change text to a block attribute, but you have to select the text, the block you wish to tie it to and then select what attribute you wish it to become. This tool is located under the drop down menu Components->Attributes->Convert Text to Attribute Definitions.

Then you do the same for the next line of text.

It won't be easy to program and there are sure to be blocks that have text added to them that should have gone to another block or another attribute.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 4 of 4
noamyogev
in reply to: rhesusminus

Hi, thanks alot.
can you give me please your email address and i'll send you the dxf?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost