AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock docked toolbars and windows ACAD 2015

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Tee.Dee
10938 Views, 12 Replies

Lock docked toolbars and windows ACAD 2015

Does anyone know how to lock docked toolbars and windows in ACAD 2015.

"Help" tells you how to temporarily move them but not how to lock them and the lock icon is missing from where it was in previous versions.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Icemanau
in reply to: Tee.Dee

Right click to bring up the toolbar menu, then select the Lock Location sub menu.

This will bring up the various lock options.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 13
Tee.Dee
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks Brad.

Message 4 of 13
507-Hunter
in reply to: Tee.Dee

It appears that ACA 2015 doesn't allow the actual position of the docked toolbars and windows to be locked. Upon start up, they revert to the middle of the screen. Yes I have tried LOCKUI and selected 8 once I had them in position where I needed them to be. I saved my Workspace as well, I made sure that allow changes to workspaces was selected. But as I said, once you start ACA 2015 again the toolbars and windows pop up in the middle of the screen.

What purpose does that serve? I don't get it.Man Frustrated

Message 5 of 13
Icemanau
in reply to: 507-Hunter

I have no problems with toolbars staying where I place them. You may not have the lock set properly.

As you can see from the locked attachment, the check pattern is missing from the grey bar at the front of the toolbar.

The Unlock attachment shows this pattern. This is how you can tell the toolbars are locked.

The Lock Access attachment shows the step to get to the submenu to lock the toolbars.

You can also bring up the menu by clicking on the padlock symbol in the status bar.

Make sure that all the options have a check mark as shown in the Lock Access attachment. This indicates that the selection in question is locked.

Looking at the help for the LOCKUI command, 8 just locks the floating windows, 4 locks the floating toolbars, 2 locks the docked/anchored windows & 1 locks the docked toolbars. 0 of course unlocks everything.

To lock VERYTHING you need to set the LOCKUI variable to 15. this is indicated by the following line in the help file.

"The setting is stored as a bitcode using the sum of the following values:"

That means you need to add the various values together for what you wish to lock.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 6 of 13
507-Hunter

Brad, 

I accidently gave you kudos for your comment. So maybe you can give that back until I deem it necessary?

Back to the toolbars...I just used LOCKUI and entered 15 as you stated, closed ACA, then opened ACA and the toolbars/windows are still in the middle of the screen. This is way past annoying, espeically since I had them set at one point, and now it seems like they have a mind of their own.

Just so we are on the same page, I am referring to the Layer Properties Manager, Sheet Set Manager, External References, Properties, and Tool Palettes "Windows". See attachment. The layout that you see is how I prefer those windows to appear when I launch ACA 2015. I know it's possible, because it used to do it up until last week.

Also, I am running ACA 2015, there is no padlock in the status bar. I have also tried LOCKUI and entered the number 8. Something is clearly wrong here. To make it even more interesting, this is a brand new computer, with a brand new installation of ACA 2015. 

Your thoughts now given this updated inofrmation?

Message 7 of 13
rhesusminus

The placement and status (docked or not) of the palettes (like the layer palette), is stored in a file called profile.aws.

By default this file would be located in the folder C:\Users\[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2015\R20.0\enu\Support\Profiles\ACADE on a standard english version of windows 7/8.

Are you absolutely sure that this file exists, and that you have read/write premissions for this file?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 13
507-Hunter
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thanks for your response.

The file is located here --> C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ACA 2015\enu\Support\Profiles\ACA2015 and I am in the Adminsitrators Group on this machine. 

So I am not sure exactly what the deal is.

I am able to retrieve previous versions of the file and re-write the old file. That seemed to work for a day but then the wwindows reappear in the center of ACA 2015 upon initial start up.

There has to be a way to get the windows to saty where I place them. It worked before, but not now for some reason.

Message 9 of 13
rhesusminus

As far as I know, this file is read upon AcadE start, and written back to when AcadE exits.

Do you have som anti-virus software that might be stopping AcadE from writing the correct changes to this file?

Can you try to disable the anti-virus for a minute, and see if the placement of your palettes are saved properly?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 10 of 13
507-Hunter
in reply to: rhesusminus

I will have to try that and see what the results are.

I will report back shortly.

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
vandgolf

One of my toolbars (modify) that I had docked on the left side of the screen in a vertical layout, jumped to horizontal when I inadvertently touched it wrong.  It is partially off the screen to the left.  I can't get to the "double strip" button to bring it back to vertical and when I remove it and then re-activate it, it goes right back to the partial off screen position.  I have changed the "little lock" settings to 'floating toolbars'.  Any suggestions? Thanks, Van

Message 12 of 13
jalger
in reply to: vandgolf

Hi Van,

Make sure you Turn off the locks for Floating and Docked Toolbars. (right click where your toolbar "Grey Area" is )

Next Grab the little grey section sticking out (should have a little "x" to close it - DO NOT HIT CLOSE! )

Once you grab the grey section it should freely drag wherever you want.

See the Screenshot Below:

Toolbar_stuck.png

If you have any issues with it or have more questions just ask. ( by the way the drag over technique works for all versions of AutoCAD that use Toolbars)

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 13 of 13
vandgolf
in reply to: jalger

Thanks a ton

Van D. Page

811 Estroff Drive

Vidalia, GA 30474

Mobile: 912.293.3210

In God we Trust

CONFIDENTIALTY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
for the sole us of the intended recipients and may contain information
protected from disclosure by applicable laws and regulations. If you are
not intended recipient, do not view, use, copy, disclose or distribute this
message or any of the information contained in this message to anyone!
Please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost