Running Windows 7 & ACADe 2011. Trying to add entries into the default_cat database. Keeps giving me the error: "The location of the catalog database is read-only, please ensure that you have write access to the location and the file and try again." The default_cat file is located in "My Documents\Acade2011\Aedata\Catalogs" so it should not be read-only, even though the directory does indicate there is a read-only file within.
I've tried to reset 'read-only' file attributes. Doesn't work.
Set to run ACADe as administrator. Doesn't work.
Reinstalled ACADe 2011. No improvement.
Went back to the latest restore point. No change.
Tried a few other web solutions to Windows 7 read-only file issues with no improvement.
Have you tried copying the file to a different location, and then removing the Read Only setting.
If that works, just point ACADE to the new location and then delete the old one.
The default_cat.mdb file does not have a 'read-only' setting. Only the folder. Read on the internet how moving a file to a public directory might help. Tried it. Without complete success.
Adjusted startup properties for Acade 2011 to run as administrator. Also adjusted my user id under security to Full Control.
I now am totally messed up. I seem to be able to insert a new record sometimes but can't edit the record. Getting very inconsistent results and I'm learning that this directory 'read-only' problem is pretty wide-spread with Windows 7.
Have you read this thread yet?
It goes into the why's and wherefores of the problem in windows 7 and how to fix it using the command line.
Apparently the folders can't have their read only setting changed in the settings drop down but works when using the command line.
Thanks for the link! Using the ATTRIB command appears to have finally solved the issue.
One additional note: While using the ATTRIB command, I kept gettting 'Parameter format not correct' errors. Finally found the solution: When subdirectory names have spaces in them, you need to put the entire "c:\subdirectory structure\" in quotes. That solved the final issue.
I found this thread as I was looking for help with the same issue. I found that the issue could possibly originate from having too long of a name for "assemblycode" in your catalog. Once I shortened the name, I didn't have this problem anymore. Just FYI.
Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.
The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.