AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Project MDB file

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
acade2012
1294 Views, 9 Replies

Local Project MDB file

Hello All,

We are having issues with ACADE 2012. The lastest of which is the descriptions used in the title block update have disappeared.

This is a project that has 2 revisions done to it so the description have been there at 1 time.

now they are blank.

In this same project, under the drawing propeties of each drawing the descriptions have also disapeared.

I only found this when i went to do the Latest title block update.

We have limited space available on our local machines so every night we have to delete the local MDB files for every project we work on for the day.

Could this be the cause of some of our seemingly independent and random issues?

I thought that the info was stored in the drawings themselves and the MDB file was rebuilt each time the project is opened and that it was for little more than creating reports?

Any help would be greatly appresiated.

Thanks

Dennis

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bholle
in reply to: acade2012

Did you mean the .wdp file?  MDB is a Microsoft Database File not a wiring porject file.  We have an issue here where drafters have been deleting the wdp file and have to rebuild it, hitting yes to apply project defaults.  Only problem with this is that the Project Defaults are blank.  

Message 3 of 10
acade2012

Thanks for your response.

No its the (project_name).mdb stored on the local c drive that we have to delete. It seems to be OK most of the time. The hard part about it is we cannot reproduce any 1 issue.

Just had a co worker tell me all his source and destination arrows are now blank so when he updated they all went to ???

Thanks

Dennis

Message 4 of 10
Icemanau
in reply to: bholle

ACADE creates a <PROJECTNAME>.MDB file for each project and stores it on the computer where ACADE is running.

This is what ACADE uses to track all the changes and such that you make to the dwgs.

WDP files however are just the basic project information, such as the title block descriptions, project settings and so on.

It is quite safe to delete the Project.MDB file as ACADE will recreate it when you next open the project. Deleting the WDP file however will lose all the project settings, descriptions and such. You will also have to manually recreate the WDP file.

Background aside, can you answer the following

1: Are all the issues on the one computer or are they spread out over several computers?

2: Are the computers hooked up to an office network?

3: Can people edit the ACAD settings?

4: Are the dwgs saved on a network server, on the one computer or moved from computer to computer as space requirement change.

5: If you have a network and the dwg files are saved on the server, do you have enough space on the server?

6: Are the WDP files you are having problems with stored locally or on a network?

7: Are the same people using the same machines/projects & dwgs from day to day?

As a precaution, I would reccomend you have the drives of all the computers scanned for bad sectors.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
acade2012
in reply to: Icemanau

1. over at least 2 I know of.

2. They are both on an office network

3. Yes anyone can edit the drawing but very doubtful that someone else is messing with it

4. The drawings are saved on the network

5. Space has not been an issue to this point but as with any network they always seem to fill up at some point

6. I do not thik it is th WPD files that are the issue but to answer the question they are stored on the same nework folder as  all the drawings in that project

7. Yes everyone has the same computer on a daily basis

FYI also the other Electrical drafter and I are on ADACE 2012 there are some ACADE 2009 compters out on the network that maybe looking at these drawings. We all save to 2007.

Message 6 of 10
Icemanau

OK, it's looking less like a setting problem in an individual computer and possibly a problem in the WDP itself, a setting in the dwg or with the server.

Get your IT Department to run a scandisk over the server during the night, just to make sure that it's disks are OK. I don't thing they are likely to be a problem but just eliminating them from the list.

Check the DWG settings and make sure the descriptions are in place there. If they Aren't, someone may have done a title block update without realising they are missing.

Double click on your title block. check the attribute list to see if the data is acutally present in the attributes independant to the dwg settings. Also check to see if they have been made invisible...

Check your layers, especially if the title block descriptions are on a specific layer. Look for any turned off or frozen.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
acade2012

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I will be trying your suggestions and will update once i complete them

Thanks

Dennis

Message 8 of 10
acade2012

FYI

I have another Project that has reverted the descriptions back to the copied project descriptions.

the descriptions have been upadted since the file has been copied and I know this because the drawing title block has the new project # and descriptions and also a revision the the project

Thanks

Dennis

Message 9 of 10
Icemanau

Do you have more than one person workinig on the project at the same time. If so, that could be your problem if it's not one of the ones I listed earlier.

Each person working on the project has a copy of the wdp file as a tmp file on their system, which they work with. When saving a dwg, this file is saved back to the main WDP file on the server.

If user A makes changes and saves them, that's fine. However when user B finishes, and saves his dwg, his copy of the WDP will be saved over the version that was saved by user A.

At this stage, ACAD has not made the WDP file to work with multiple users at the same time. It also does not get locked like a dwg file. Changes are not tracked like with the project MDB file either.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
acade2012

NO only 2 people have ACADE and we are not using it at the same time.

The IT department will be doing the scan tonight so I should know if that is the issue tomorrow

Thanks again for your help\

Dennis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost