AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lineweights Won't Update

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Crustaceans
45078 Views, 23 Replies

Lineweights Won't Update

Please explain how to change lineweights.

First attempts at a solution are listed below:

1. Change lineweight in the properties manager.

2. Change lineweight in the current layer.

The only way to change the lineweight is to set the desired lineweight and then insert a new wire/component. The lineweight cannot be edited once the component/wire has been inserted.

The "show lineweight" option is enabled.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
drathak
in reply to: Crustaceans

Off the top of my head, that should work.  Firing up ACADE...

What lineweights are you trying to change?  And for what purpose?  (Knowing that might help.)

I have lineweights added to a few wire layers to denote high voltage bus work in my shcematics.  However, it has been my experience that they don't act like I want them to nearly we well as polylines do.

The layers I have are set to 1mm and 0.7mm lineweight.  The "Show/Hide Lineweight" button is set to show lineweights.  The results are in the image below.  You'll notice the ends get rounded.  That's one of the shortcomings over polylines in my opinion.  At least you can set the plot style to square those off.

Also, the properties on those lines show the lineweight to be set "Bylayer", so your first step may be part of the problem.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 24
Crustaceans
in reply to: drathak

Thanks for the response.

I would like to change the lineweights of wires and components. The purpose is to make the wire colors more easily visible both onscreen as well as printed.

The show/hide lineweight button is enabled.

Each line's lineweight is individually defined in its layer properties - they have all been changed from "bylayer" to their respective lineweight.

Message 4 of 24
drathak

What lineweights are you giving them?  They should be showing up.

Is this model space or paper space?  If paper space, could annotation scale be the issue?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 5 of 24
Crustaceans

I've tried several lineweights between 0 and 2mm.

I don't know what model space and paper space means.

The lineweights can only be changed by deleting the components and wires, setting the desired lineweight, and creating the drawing all over again.

In other words, the lineweights CAN be set, but not changed after the drawing has been started.

Message 6 of 24
drathak

Ah.  I misunderstood.  So you can see thicker lines, you just can't change them.

I am able to change mine using the properties dialog.  No problems.  Even closed out of the file and came back.  Still no problems.  Can you post a copy of the file here so I can have a look?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 7 of 24
Crustaceans

Certainly.

Message 8 of 24
drathak

Ok, by that it would seem that you are trying to change the lineweight of a block reference.  That doesn't work that way.  You would have to alter the block geometry to get whatyou are after.  Or, change the lineweight at the layer level and then let everyting on that layer take on the width.  That is what I did in this return sample.  (Changed SYMS layer to 0.35mm)

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 9 of 24
Crustaceans

I thought that the components/wires were part of the current layer, since they were placed while the layer was active. I didn't realize that components are blocks, and the layers of the parts of the block might not be part of the active layer.

Thank you for understanding my problem and providing me with a solution!

Message 10 of 24
drathak

You'll notice that all the included symbols are drawn with everything on layer 0.  (And this is reccomended when creating your own.) The reason being that when you insert a component (AECOMPONENT) it will place attributes on different layers based on thier names.  (Unrecognized attributes stay on layer 0.)

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 11 of 24
Crustaceans

It's interesting that everything is inserted in layer 0, but when I go to turn that layer off, the symbol doesn't disappear.

Message 12 of 24
drathak

That's because the insert component command moved the graphics to the SYMS layer.  Turn that off and see what happens.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 13 of 24
Crustaceans

Right, but I thought you said.

@drathak wrote:

You'll notice that all the included symbols are drawn with everything on layer 0.

Message 14 of 24
drathak

I did.  I also said that is moves attributes to the right layers.  I failed to mention it does that for graphics that are on layer 0 as well.  Entities NOT on layer 0 don't change.

(Sorry.  Juggling too many things today.)

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 15 of 24
Crustaceans

Oh, I see. Using this software is not nearly as intuitive as I'd hoped. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Thanks for your help.

Message 16 of 24
drathak

@Crustaceans wrote:

Oh, I see. Using this software is not nearly as intuitive as I'd hoped. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Thanks for your help.

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!   Nope.  It isn't the most obvious sometimes.

Hope this helps.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 17 of 24
awl1l

Don't know if you are still out there :).   I am having a similar sort of problem. I am using Autocad 2016 (Mac). I am in Model Space. I have the lineweight 'on' from my status bar. And I am simply drawing lines (no blocks).  Before I draw the first line, I go into the Properties inspector and change the lineweight to 2mm. Then I draw a line. It is wide. I now go into the Properties Inspector again and change the linewieght to 0.25mm. The displayed width of the first line does not change at all on the screen. I draw a second line. Its width is small relative to the previous 2mm width. I can go back and create any number of lines with different widths.   This seems very odd to me. I should think that I should be able to change a lineweight setting of a layer and the lineweights of ALL the entities on that layer should change accordingly. The thought is that one should be able to adjust the lineweights of existing lines to fine tune the result. But that is not what I am seeing.

See the attachment. All of these lred lines are on my Layer1, yet they have different linewidths.  HELP!

Message 18 of 24
jseefdrumr
in reply to: awl1l

Each of those lines has its own individual properties -- basically, all ACAD entities do. These override a layer's default settings.

When you drew those lines, you told them what lineweight to be when you changed the lineweight in the properties inspector. Once they're drawn, that's their weight. It is an object property. That is what the properties inspector is looking at: the properties of the current selection (also, the current properties of the object being drawn at that moment).

Going into PROPERTIES without a selection active does nothing. That's why nothing on your screen changed when you selected a new lineweight.

If you want to change the properties of something so that they always stay a certain way, do it with the LAYER command.

If you want to edit a property one at a time/for one object only, do that via PROPERTIES.

If you want to make all of these lines you drew have the same lineweight as their layer, select them all, then go to PROPERTIES, and tell them to have weight 'By Layer'.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 19 of 24
adrian_wilkes
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Just been trying to sort a problem relating to line weights. I've a simple drawing, i'm setting the line weight to 'By Layer' and setting layer weight, by the exported drawing has no updated line weights....

Message 20 of 24
rhesusminus
in reply to: adrian_wilkes

You are doing what, and what happens?
How do you export the drawing? What do you export the drawing to?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost