AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 11 of 14 (76 Views)

Re: layers

01-03-2013 12:30 PM in reply to: murnenp

Pat,

Is what the OP asking for even possible? I thought that there was only one layer for symbols, one for XREF, one for Tags, etc.

I thought ACE could not find anything if it was not on these layers...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Employee
murnenp
Message 12 of 14 (74 Views)

01-03-2013 12:33 PM in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

maybe I am misunderstanding what is being asked here. What do you think is being asked?

Pat

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Information Modeling and Platform Products Group

Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 13 of 14 (66 Views)

01-03-2013 12:42 PM in reply to: murnenp

The OP stated,

"What I mean is if I turn off a layer on sheet 1 how can I set it to automatically turn off its child-component is on sheet 2?"

Now, the idea of turning off a layer in one drawiong and having another layer turn off on a different drawing is the question but I read it more like

"I want to turn off CR1 on drawing 1 and have the contacts on drawing 2 also turn off."

I didn't think that ACE would allow this because all the symbols use the same layers and there is not any way to have some symbols on one layer and other symbols on another. The way I understood it was that ACE relied on the layers to determine which symbols where present for the scratch database.

Am I mis-understanding this fundamental process?

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Employee
murnenp
Message 14 of 14 (62 Views)

01-03-2013 12:46 PM in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

you are understanding correctly, if you turn off a layer then whatever is assigned to that layer is off. So if you turn off the cross-reference layer then no cross-reference is visible.

You can set specific attributes to invisible with the tool provided but this is also done manually.

So I guess I misunderstood what was being asked and didn't answer appropriately. Layers are all or nothing on each drawing. A layer cannot control the visibility of particular components or the visibility of attributes on only specific components.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Information Modeling and Platform Products Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.