AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
april_herr
Message 1 of 7 (250 Views)
Accepted Solution

Layer types for wires

250 Views, 6 Replies
11-14-2011 03:13 PM

In our schematic drawings, we use a hidden line type to show field wiring.  Is there a way to change the appearance of my lines after I create my many layers in "Create/Edit Line Type"?

have you ever worked with the layer manager?  You can edit line types associated with a layer and you can then export your layer configuration to a .LAS file.  This file can be imported into other drawings and you can restore layers and linetypes from it.  We have multiple .LAS files with different layer/linetype configurations.  These different configurations are for Panel Layouts, Assembly Details, Plant Layouts and etc....

Otherwise, you can write a lisp routine to create your linetypes and associated layers as you need.

Scott

Have you tried opening the layer manager and clicking on the 'HELP' button there? It should take you straight to the relevent entry in the ACAD help file.

Regards Brad

Just in case you are not sure how to access the layer properties manager, you can simply type layer on the command line and press enter. Or you can click on the icon that looks a lot like the attached image.

Mentor
sonny3g
Message 2 of 7 (246 Views)

Re: Layer types for wires

11-14-2011 03:45 PM in reply to: april_herr

have you ever worked with the layer manager?  You can edit line types associated with a layer and you can then export your layer configuration to a .LAS file.  This file can be imported into other drawings and you can restore layers and linetypes from it.  We have multiple .LAS files with different layer/linetype configurations.  These different configurations are for Panel Layouts, Assembly Details, Plant Layouts and etc....

Otherwise, you can write a lisp routine to create your linetypes and associated layers as you need.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
april_herr
Message 3 of 7 (244 Views)

11-14-2011 03:52 PM in reply to: sonny3g

Thank you!  Much appreciate the fast response!

april_herr
Message 4 of 7 (241 Views)

11-14-2011 04:06 PM in reply to: sonny3g

No, I haven't used Layer Manager at all.  I thought I would type it in to the Help menu and find all the info I needed.  But when I did, nothing related to the actual manager is listed?  Where would I look to find this info?

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 5 of 7 (238 Views)

11-14-2011 05:31 PM in reply to: april_herr

Have you tried opening the layer manager and clicking on the 'HELP' button there? It should take you straight to the relevent entry in the ACAD help file.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Valued Contributor
flyFisher67
Message 6 of 7 (219 Views)

11-15-2011 06:59 AM in reply to: april_herr

Just in case you are not sure how to access the layer properties manager, you can simply type layer on the command line and press enter. Or you can click on the icon that looks a lot like the attached image.

april_herr
Message 7 of 7 (215 Views)

11-15-2011 07:36 AM in reply to: flyFisher67

Thank you guys for the help.  I feel a bit foolish because I was really complicating this.  I thought layer manager was different from layer properties manager and indeed, I was not able to find it.  I have figured it out!  Sometimes the solution is so simple... :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.