AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Properties

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Scott.Papworth
653 Views, 8 Replies

Layer Properties

Is there anyway i can copy a set of Layers from an old Porject to a new one? It has alot of individual Layers that i could find useful in my current Project.

I dont really want to sit there add them all one by one if possible.

Many thanks

Scott

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
metal_pro2
in reply to: Scott.Papworth

I have several customers each requiring different layers so I use a different script to change all the layers in the drawings in a project quickly.

Under Projects select Project-Wide Utilities the select for each drawing "Run Command script file".

I have included a sample script file for you to see. Once you play with it a bit its fairly easy and quick to modify a lot of drawings.

Message 3 of 9
s.wile

If they are all Wire Type layers, you can import project wide from the Project-Wide utilities. This is new in 2012 or 2013.

If you don't have that command, or you have layers other than wire types, use the DesignCenter palette. The keyboard short cut is Ctrl+2

Here you can browse out to a drawing, view its layers, select as many as needed, right click and choose Add Layers.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 4 of 9
shuhn
in reply to: s.wile

Can DesignCenter be made to copy this stuff Project-Wide?

Message 5 of 9
TRLitsey

Hi there,

If I may I would mention a few things here. If you created wires, they are probably on layer with that wire type name.  Wires can be imported from one drawing to another.  There is also a tool to compare the drawing settings to the drawing setting.  You can update the drawing to match the project.  May be a few other little trick that is just what I am aware of.

But the most important thing I can say here is the you should take a look at the template you are using.  When you are doing a schematic and create a new drawing it is created from a template.  Open that template file and add all the layers, wire types, colors, that you typically use.  Depending on what you are doing this might be a good time to set default font type and size, set dimension style and precision (0.0 or 0.000), set the leader arrow size.  Just pack the template with everything you think you may need then save it as a template ( .dwt  file ).  Now, every new drawing will be created with all you goodies loaded and ready to go.  Not everything can be embedded in the template but a WHOLE lot can.

Good luck

Screenshot - 1_30_2018 , 1_44_56 PM.png 

Screenshot - 1_30_2018 , 1_44_13 PM.png 

Screenshot - 1_30_2018 , 2_02_31 PM.png 

Screenshot - 1_30_2018 , 2_03_08 PM.png 

Screenshot - 1_30_2018 , 1_48_30 PM.png 

Screenshot - 1_30_2018 , 1_54_59 PM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 6 of 9
shuhn
in reply to: TRLitsey

I created our wire layers before there was such a command as Create/Edit Wire Type, so that function still eludes me as I have never needed it.  Besides that, I am familiar with and usually do everything you wrote about, and my templates do have all the Styles/Layers/Linetypes we use, but I have added wire layers as I come across new colors/combination/gauges that I never even thought I would need.  The purpose of being able to import Project wide would be to bring old drawings up to speed when I have to use them.

Message 7 of 9
s.wile
in reply to: shuhn

You can import wires project wide using the Project Utilities dialog.

Project Utilities Layers.png

Stan Wile
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 8 of 9
shuhn
in reply to: s.wile

I have seen that before, but what about Layer States?  I have several Layer States files, one of which is Wire Layers and one is other layers for ACADE, ie, LOC, MISC, LINK, LOCBOX.  I also have some for changing views of enclosures, and some for changing views of bulkhead footprints.  Can you import Layer States Project-Wide?

Message 9 of 9
s.wile
in reply to: shuhn

Type the command LAS. This command allows you to import and export layer states. Export your layer states and then create a script file that looks something like this...

-LAYER STATE IMPORT C:\TEMP\ALLWIRES.LAS IMPORT C:\TEMP\NOWIRES.LAS IMPORT C:\TEMP\KNOCKOUTS.LAS QSAVE

Then run that script file project wide using the Project-Wide Utilities. You may have to play with this because it will ask if you want to replace an existing state. So a YES will be needed before the next import.

Stan Wile
IMAGINiT Technologies

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost