AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ladder font size when using Metric

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
LT2
Explorer
2374 Views, 11 Replies

Ladder font size when using Metric

Hi,

I'm having difficulty sorting out the font size on ladders when in Metric.

If I insert a ladder, the connections and wire sizes are great but the font for the ladder numbers is miniscule. (the font seems to be reading an imperial height size and not scaling it for metric use)

If I change the Drawing Properties > Drawing Format > "Inch scaled to mm" (as was suggested in another thread i found), then the font size is as it should be but the connections are HUGE!

How can I go about using metric drawing and have consistant result? If possible I would prefer to keep the drawing in "mm full size" as I fear anything else may cause issues down the track.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
lionSG
in reply to: LT2

If your metric drawing are based on IEC template such as ACAD_ELECTRICAL_IEC.dwt.

Then when you add ladder rungs and components, the size should be just fine in "mm full size".

Message 3 of 12
electricman1

I've seen this before, sometimes the "UNITS" settings may cause this.

I would suggest to type in the command "UNITS" and see what the settings are in your drawing and any block files that are inserted. Switching to "Unitless" on the "insertion scale" pull down menu may be a quick or long term fix.

Message 4 of 12
LT2
Explorer

I started a new drawing using the IEC template ACAD_ELECTRICAL_IEC.dwt.

TEST 1

Drawing format (Drawing properties): mm in full

Insertion units (UNITS command): mm

Add a ladder. (no other objects in drawing other than the titleblock from the template)

Result: Text on ladders ends up about 0.12mm high! (unreadable)

TEST 2

Drawing format (Drawing properties): mm in full

Insertion units (UNITS command): unitless

Add a ladder. (no other objects in drawing other than the titleblock from the template)

Result: Same as previous, text on ladders ends up about 0.12mm high!

TEST 3

Drawing format (Drawing properties): inch scaled to mm

Result: Text on ladders shows up correctly, but the connection dots end up huge! 25.4mm/1" diameter to be exact.

It basically seems like the text and connection dots arent scaling together. if i get one right, the other turns out wrong and vice versa.

For what it's worth I am using ACE 2013.

Thanks for any help.

Message 5 of 12
lionSG

I search the ACE help files and found that you can modify the ref numbers text size called RUNGFIRST attribute.

But I did not test it before, maybe you can check on that block and compare the attributes values there.

See below:

You can permanently change the relative position of line reference numbers and text size by modifying the RUNGFIRST attribute definition.

1. Display the drawing of the MLR block. The file names found at

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Autodesk\Acade {version}\libs\{library}\

Windows 7: \Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Acade {version}\libs\{library}\

are:

• WD_MLRH.dwg: for horizontal rung / vertical ladders
  • WD_MLRV.dwg: for vertical rung / horizontal ladders
  • WD_MLRHX.dwg: hexagon-shaped user block (horizontal rung / vertical ladders)
  • WD_MLRVX.dwg: hexagon-shaped user block (vertical rung / horizontal ladders)
  1. Change the default values as desired, but do not delete any of the attributes you find.
  2. Move or change the text size of the RUNGFIRST attribute definition.
  3. Save and exit the drawing.
Message 6 of 12
Icemanau

Did you start a new dwg for each test or did you re-use the same dwg.

Don't forget that the blocks are re-used if they haven't been purged.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 7 of 12
LT2
Explorer
in reply to: Icemanau

I didnt start new drawings in the test above. But I have just redone the test and started a new drawing each time. With this I cant see any text at all!

OK after hours of back and forth trial and error I think I finally have worked out a combo that works.

A big part of the test was about knowing that I needed to purge or start fresh each new test.

Drawing format (Drawing properties): inch scaled to mm

This seems to get me a properly scaled connection dot and text in a metric drawing.

Untill next time, thanks for all your help!

Message 8 of 12
Icemanau

When you say the format is Inch Scaled to mm, it indicates that your ACADE may be looking to a imperial block library.

Check the attached screen cap. I've highlighted the paths that I have for the Australian symbols (as2 Library).

You may want the IEC library depending on your location.

The Imperial libraries are the default installed libraries, so you may need to install the IEC and other libraries.

To change the library, select the path you want to change and then select browse on the right. Browse to the library you need and then click ok.

Do the same for the panel footprint libraries and you should be right.

If you can't find the IEC libraries you will need to install them

To install additional libraries, put your ACADE cd/dvd in the drive and exit out of the installer when it comes ups.

Now go to the Windows control panel and select the option to add/remove programs (XP) or Programs & Features (Win 7)

Find the ACADE entry in the list, select it and click on the button to change/uninstall.

This will start the installer in the repair mode. This will allow you to add any missing features or libraries you want.

Examples of missing features would be the Express Tools which are NOT installed by default and the IEC, GB, JIC and AS libraries.

Regards Brad

Message 9 of 12
LT2
Explorer

Thanks Brad, that makes sense about the inch to mm scale meaing I am using Imperial Blocks. It would be nice if when installing it asked you what units you would prefer to use as defaults.

I am in Brisbane so yes I definately want to use an AS2 library. I have searched my C: and found the location of an AS2 library folder with blocks in it! I am having trouble finding the dialog box to update my library path as per your screen shot.

Searching around, it seemed like I need to go to Schematic tab and then modify symbol library? It doesnt look like your screen, but it's the closest I could find to changing/updating the library symbols.Does this seem right or am I on a completely wrong path?

I am using ACE 2013.

Message 10 of 12
Icemanau

Ah, another Brisvegas user...

To change the library path, go to the project settings (highlighted in the previous pic) and they are on the first tab.

Change the path there using the browse button and apply them. They will now be set in any new dwgs when you apply the project settings.

Now all you need to do is to set the Feature scale multiplier to 1 and select the mm Full size option.

Apply the project settings to the existing dwgs and you are done.

Regards Brad

Message 11 of 12
LT2
Explorer

My problem is I can't get to/find project settings. I can find drawing properties which is very similar but it isnt the same (it hasnt got the menu and schematic paths that I am after).

Could you let me know where it's located? what tab/directory  its under etc.

Message 12 of 12
lionSG

Just right click on the active project folder in the project manager window and select properties.

It's under the project settings tab, check that the library and icon menu paths are pointing to the correct directory or folder.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost