AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

item Number Seperates Line items in BOM

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
olds-442
292 Views, 4 Replies

item Number Seperates Line items in BOM

I am using ACADE-2009 and I am having trouble with the way the BOM is displayed.

In my current project, I have components that are in the schematic diagrams, some are represented on the footprint layout, and some are not. When I re-sequence item numbers, the footprint items show as a separate line item on the BOM. Is there a way to merge them back together without adding item numbers manually to each schematic component? Alternatively, is there a way to add the item numbers to the schematic with a re-sequence?

Thanks,

Jeff
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: olds-442

Jeff, the item number for schematic component symbols existed in the early version of Acad/E before there was a "smart" panel layout feature. So there was only a schematic BOM and thus the item numbers had to be entered into the schematic components. With the introduction of the smart panel layout symbols the item numbering shifted to the panel layout so we could also include hardware items in the BOM that are not normally part of the schematic. I insert my footprints via the insert footprints from schematic list. This creates the proper linking between the schematic symbol and the panel symbol and forwards all schematic data to the footprints. You should not assign item numbers at schematic level if you intend to assign item numbers to the footprints. If you generate your BOM from the panel layout toolbar you should get all your schematic components plus hardware items not included in the schematic, like the panel box, DIN rail, wireways, screws, nuts, etc. I hope this helps.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
olds-442

Hello Doug,

Thank you for responding.

Let me give you some background on the project I was working on:

I was designing a motor control center with several motor control buckets and an empty section to mount the PLC and other hardwire controls.
The pump control buckets include relays and other components that are also included in the PLC and control section. Our typical practice is to show a backpanel layout for the PLC and controls since our vendor sends us an empty section and we need to mount the equipment. The pump control buckets are supplied to us with MCP’s, CPT’s, VFD's, FVNR's and SSRV's already mounted and we add control hardware such as relays and timers. Since we do not know where the supplied equipment will be mounted until it arrives, we do not show a mounting detail in our submittal documentation.

Like you, I also insert footprints from the schematic list. When I add item numbers to equipment shown on the PLC section, it will separate the same part that is in a pump control bucket. It will show once with the item number, then again without. It would be nice if the item number were added to all of the components that share the part number even if it is not shown on the BOM. I also think that it would be nice to add item numbers to schematic components automatically so that items not shown anywhere on the footprint receive an item number.

For now, I have just been adding all items from the schematic list to a footprint and hiding some of them in model space when I do not want to show them. It works, but I hate work-arounds.

Thanks again for the reply; I appreciate any response to my posts.

-Jeff
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Are you using version 2009.  There was much
improvement with regard to item number tracking.  You can also assign item
numbers to up to 99 parts listed under a main part in the multiple catalog
list.  So every piece-part can have an item number now.  You can do
this on the schematic side and feed-forward to the panel, but there is no
bi-directional update of panel back to schematic.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hello
Doug, Thank you for responding. Let me give you some background on the project
I was working on: I was designing a motor control center with several motor
control buckets and an empty section to mount the PLC and other hardwire
controls. The pump control buckets include relays and other components that
are also included in the PLC and control section. Our typical practice is to
show a backpanel layout for the PLC and controls since our vendor sends us an
empty section and we need to mount the equipment. The pump control buckets are
supplied to us with MCP’s, CPT’s, VFD's, FVNR's and SSRV's already mounted and
we add control hardware such as relays and timers. Since we do not know where
the supplied equipment will be mounted until it arrives, we do not show a
mounting detail in our submittal documentation. Like you, I also insert
footprints from the schematic list. When I add item numbers to equipment shown
on the PLC section, it will separate the same part that is in a pump control
bucket. It will show once with the item number, then again without. It would
be nice if the item number were added to all of the components that share the
part number even if it is not shown on the BOM. I also think that it would be
nice to add item numbers to schematic components automatically so that items
not shown anywhere on the footprint receive an item number. For now, I have
just been adding all items from the schematic list to a footprint and hiding
some of them in model space when I do not want to show them. It works, but I
hate work-arounds. Thanks again for the reply; I appreciate any response to my
posts. -Jeff
Message 5 of 5
olds-442

I am using version 2009. I will look into this more for my next project.

Thanks,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost