AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

*Wayne Gatlin
Message 1 of 2 (82 Views)

Issue with parent child Relatioship

82 Views, 1 Replies
04-29-2004 12:38 PM
When we have 2 or more like parent devices such as a control relay coil that are named the same thing but have different locations being fired from PLC Outputs in a seperate Panel and then do a component cross reference update all the relays think they are related. Example: PLC Outputs (Rack in MCP1) firing coils to 3 relays called CR1 (each living in a seperate panel lets say CS1, CS2, and CS3 are the panel names)...(in this scenario, we are simply providing an outputs to turn on devices controlled by others...interlocks in other words) when we do a component cross ref update the three relays (all named the same but have different LOC values) think they are related...one of the 3 gets a cross ref that points to the other two... Shouldn't the fact that 3 parent devices (in this case HCR1) that live in different panels not reference each other? If I am doing something just totally off the wall here please tell me what it is. Basically in any OEM equipment that is out there, the device names are typically the same and if you are controlling many of them there would be times that the only differentiation would be its LOC attribute value. I also posted this on the Beta Feedback page...sice this issue affects both versions
*Nate Holt \(Autodesk\)
Message 2 of 2 (82 Views)

Re: Issue with parent child Relatioship

04-29-2004 01:05 PM in reply to: *Wayne Gatlin
Wayne, This is a situation where you probably should turn on AcadE's "Combined Installation/Locatioin and component Tag mode (IEC-style)" option for your project. AcadE will include the INST and LOC values you assign (or the drawing config's default "IEC setup" LOC/INST values) in determining unique parent tag names. Sor, if you have a relay CR1 in location "PNL1" and another relay CR1 in "PNL2", they're treated correctly as individual devices and all of the child cross-referencing is kept separate. You turn this mode on via the Project > Misc Settings dialog (first toggle) and it's done on a per-project basis. Let me know if it appears that I'm not understanding the question or issue here. thanks! Nate. "Wayne Gatlin" wrote in message news:40915a5e$1_1@newsprd01... > When we have 2 or more like parent devices such as a control relay coil that > are named the same thing but have different locations being fired from PLC > Outputs in a seperate Panel and then do a component cross reference update > all the relays think they are related. > > Example: > PLC Outputs (Rack in MCP1) firing coils to 3 relays called CR1 (each living > in a seperate panel lets say CS1, CS2, and CS3 are the panel names)...(in > this scenario, we are simply providing an outputs to turn on devices > controlled by others...interlocks in other words) when we do a component > cross ref update the three relays (all named the same but have different LOC > values) think they are related...one of the 3 gets a cross ref that points > to the other two... > > Shouldn't the fact that 3 parent devices (in this case HCR1) that live in > different panels not reference each other? If I am doing something just > totally off the wall here please tell me what it is. Basically in any OEM > equipment that is out there, the device names are typically the same and if > you are controlling many of them there would be times that the only > differentiation would be its LOC attribute value. > > I also posted this on the Beta Feedback page...sice this issue affects both > versions > >
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.