AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISSUE EDITTING SYMBOLS IN SYMBOL BUILDER

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
AcadE2014
516 Views, 8 Replies

ISSUE EDITTING SYMBOLS IN SYMBOL BUILDER

Hello All,

When I go to edit a symbol in Symbol Builder I cannot pull up the symbol unless it is on the current drawing I am working on.

Whenever I browse to a symbol it simply closes Symbol builder. There are no commands on the command line.

If I use the dropdown box it has a list of symbols that are in the current drawing and I can edit those with no issues.

We have 2 seats here and it is doing the same thing on both computers.

Anyone having this same issue?

Thanks Dennis

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jalger
in reply to: AcadE2014

Hi Dennis,

It seems to be working, but you do not get a preview of the block your about to edit.

After you browse to the block (it should have been wblocked out), it will open in the symbol builder environment.

I tested in 2014 (SP1.1 Build: I.108.0.3) and 2015 (RTM: Build: J.51.0.0).

Are the Libraries local or on a network?

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 9
sonny3g

Correct, the symbol you wish to edit must be in the current drawing in order to edit it.  Otherwise, you will be creating a new block with Symbol Builder.  It does not see or open symbols/blocks that do NOT reside in the current drawing.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 4 of 9
jalger
in reply to: sonny3g

Just to add to what Scott is saying.

If you have saved the symbol using the "Block" setting then it will only exist in the original drawing.and in that case you have to be in the original drawing to make the change.

Block Editor_1.png

The default is "Wblock" (why you would change this is beyond me), which saves the block to the library you currently have in your project.

You do not need to be in the same drawing to edit the block after it has been wblocked, you can open it through the symbol builder, any changes you make will save to the original block (I save the block in the block editor and then click on Done to publish it back to the original location.)

When you finish your edits you should land in the symbol's Drawing.

(i.e. if you edit HPB11, using the browse option, when the changes are published, you will end up in HPB11.dwg)

That said its far easier to simply place a copy of the block on the drawing makes your edits then publish it with the "Symbol Builder".

The only issue you may encounter with the wblocked file is it sometimes drops the IMAGES path, and thats easy to fix.

Here are the paths for 2013 -2015:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2013\R19.0\enu\Support\IMAGES

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2014\R19.1\enu\Support\IMAGES

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2015\R20.0\enu\Support\IMAGES

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 5 of 9
AcadE2014
in reply to: jalger

I might not have explained what is happing here correctly.

When I go into symbol builder  under "symbol to create or edit" is a browes button.

I browes to the symbol I want to edit (FYI it is on the network)

I select the symbol and it shows up in the under the name.

my attribute template has the correct path, the symbol type is correct, and the type is generic.

then when I select OK on the bottom symbol builder simply closes.

The only way I can get it to edit a symbol is to select it from the name drop down box.

This is not the way it has worked in the past. I should be able to select ANY block that I browes to not just the ones on the current drawing

Thanks

Dennis

Message 6 of 9
jalger

Hi Dennis,

You explained it properly the first time.

The browse button in the "Select Symbol /Objects" Dialog box  (the symbol builder's first dialog box), should be working.

Symbol Builder_1.png

It opens up the file your about to edit in a new drawing tab. Make sure your "SDI" setting is at 0, to allow multiple pages.

If SDI is all ready at "0", Check to see if its your network that is causing the issues. Copy several files locally and test if they open properly.

Also check to make sure you are at the latest Service pack.

Symbol Builder_2.png

As mentioned I have tested this in 2014 (SP1.1) and 2015 (RTM "SP0" ), which version of the product are you using?

Have you noticed any other file opening issues in other installed products? (i.e. If you have inventor Installed is it having issues opening dwg type files?)

Let me know,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 7 of 9
AcadE2014

We have no other Autodesk products and we are currently running 2014 (SP1.1). This is the same on both instances of ACADE we are running. The second one got installed about 2 weeks ago. This issue was noticed about 1 week ago. I am assuming that the new install changed some setting somewhere but not sure why it would have changed the ACADE that was first installed, that one has been installed for 6 months +.

OK setting the SDI to 0 helped kind of.

It opens the correct symbol in symbol builder but the name is "<current drawing>" (see attached) I can save it to what ever I want but i have to go in and name it again.

When I close symbol builder it opens the symbol drawing in a new window.

As of a week ago I never had to set SDI to 0, the drawing name being <current drawing>, or it opening up a new window when I exit.

I am not sure if a setting or something changed in the last week. Otherwise I will try reinstalling ACADE and see what happens.

Thanks

Dennis

Message 8 of 9
jalger

You don't need to name it again, if it says Current Drawing you should be ok. (since the DWG name at the top of the shows the symbol name)

when you save the changes, it will save it to the proper drawing.

The Default Setting for SDI is "0" but it can change to "1" if you have a rough shutdown. (normally it doesn't change, unless the user changes it)

Regards,

James 

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 9 of 9
AcadE2014

OK Thanks for your help

I will get by with this until I figure out what has changed. I have worked with SDI set to 1 for years and never had this issue.

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

Dennis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost