AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a bug?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
vladop
387 Views, 4 Replies

Is this a bug?

Hi,

I have a problem using IEC tag mode. 

Please open attached project. 

The problem is when parent is on the drawing with blank Instalation Code (-K1 coil on the drawing 007.dwg),

and child is on the drawing with non-blank Instalation Code ( -K1 contact od the drawing 008.dwg with INST Instalation Code). In this case parent pinlist cannot be seen by the child.

Here is my explanation:

-parent is on the drawing with no INST

-then child is also with no INST

-but component with no INST gets drawing's INST; in this case child gets drawing's INST as you can see on the attached image

-so, in IEC mode parent and child are not the same because parent is -K1 and child is INST-K1.

Regards,

Vlado 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: vladop

If you are typing the tag in on the child, you may get the problem you are describing. Try selecting either the Project button or the Parent/Sibling button underneath the tag box. Use Project to pick up a parent device on another dwg in the project, while Paretn/Sibling is used to select something on the same dwg.

This will then cause the child block to be tied to the parent block and take on ALL the characteristics of the parent. This includes the INST and LOC values. Once you do that, you should be able to pick from the contact list of the parent's database entry.

NOTE that the parent block will be required to have a catalog entry that has a matching pinlist entry. If there is no pinlist entry for the catalog data, you wont't get the contact list in the child.

It is possible to type the tag information in for a child, but the INST & LOC fields must also match the parent for the cross referencing and contact list to work properly. The INST & LOC values allow several devices to have the same tag but be located in different installations or locations within the project. That means any child has to match those INST/LOC values to be properly connected to the parent.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
vladop
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Brad,

thanks for answering.

I always use buttons and parent pinlist is not empty.

I attached a sample project, so that you can try yourself.

If only child's drawing Instalation code is set to blank or parent's drawing to non-blank, everything works fine.

Vlado 

Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: vladop

It isn't a bug.  They way you have your project configured, Electrical expects to see an INST assignment for each page or none at all.  I used IEC61082 rules and modified your project to function they way you desire.  You will notice a dashed-dot LOCBOX around the relay contact, to indicate that it resides in a different INST/LOC than the drawing default. 

It is fine to use LOC only, with no INST assignment on any drawings.  For example, you are an OEM, and you have no idea where the panel will be installed.  INST usually denotes the factory or production line while LOC denotes which panel. 

LOC can also be used to denote different options.  For example, I sometimes work for a company in Germany that has a machine with the option for up to 14 motors/pumps, along with other options, like pressure and level monitoring.  Each circuit is assigned a LOC code.  For example each motor circuit occupies a drawing and is assigned LOC +M1 through +M14.  When the reports are generated they are filtered according to which options were chosen by the customer.  The schematic may show all options, but the BOM, wire list, etc. will only cover the parts/wires needed for the options ordered by the customer.

It is usual and customary to assign an INST value to all drawings or none, even if the INST is always the same.  If there is no differentiation of INST, then INST can be left blank for all drawings.  But don't assign an INST to one drawing and not another, if you have your project properties configured to reference the drawing default INST/LOC.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
vladop
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug, thanks a lot for your explanations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost