AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to question

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
brandonwomack
399 Views, 5 Replies

Is it possible to question

is there a way in ACAD/E so that when I build a panel schematic/one-line having i.e. relays, breakers, fuses, etc so that when i build an actual panel or subpanel layout all the associated components would automatically be but onto the panel in the correct place and have the correct tagging, labeling, and such

thanks for any help 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

if someone could please give me some kind of feedback it would be very appreciated. 

Message 3 of 6
drathak
in reply to: brandonwomack

@brandonwomack wrote:

is there a way in ACAD/E so that when I build a panel schematic/one-line having i.e. relays, breakers, fuses, etc so that when i build an actual panel or subpanel layout all the associated components would automatically be but onto the panel in the correct place and have the correct tagging, labeling, and such

thanks for any help 

In a word, no.  It won't automatically place your layout components for you.  How is it supposed to know where they physically go until you tell it?

Now, once you have your schematic done, doing the layout goes pretty fast since you have a list of parts to work from at that point.  It's a matter of picking them from a list and placing them wher you want them.  All the tagging/labeling comes in with the footprint symbols.

As an example, doing things our legacy way, a switchboard panel might have taken me a couple of days to layout and wire up.  With most of that time being adding the wiring.  With ACADE I am able to layout a panel and wire it in less than 30 minutes.  (12 if I already have the centerlines in place.)

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 4 of 6

Actually such a site does exit, but A-B PLC hardware only.

www.racklayout.com

Message 5 of 6

Panel layout involves many factors. Keeping AC and DC separated as much as possible. Noise immunity. Designing in such a way that the fewest number of wires cross the door hinge. Positioning in a way that uses the least amount of wire. If the software starts taking over these decisions, the designer jobs can be replaced by the lesser skilled. But seriously, layout decisions need to be made by a human with proper training and experience.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 6
brandonwomack
in reply to: drathak

thanks for the advice it helped!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost