AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to pull titleblock information from a pre-existing drawing?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Pertech-LLC
294 Views, 3 Replies

Is it possible to pull titleblock information from a pre-existing drawing?

Long story short, I have several non-ACADE drawings to make changes to. I have a WDT file for the project, which allows me to make changes as needed to the existing title blocks, but I am wondering if there is an automated way to import the pre-existing titles to the project file? (I realize I can open drawing properties & select them, but for ~100 drawings with 3 description lines, that's an option I'd rather avoid)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

The Drawing Description Line data is stored in the project definition (.WDP) file.  I'm afraid there is no database entry for that, because it isn't stored in an attribute.  You will need to key these in at least once.  What you can do is Export the Drawing Settings using the Export to Spreadsheet utility, make any needed changes in the spreadsheet, and then Update from the spreadsheet.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4

The spreadhseet utility is how I'm updating them, just hate to have to for drawings that the information is already there.

It would be really nice if you could export the existing attribute information of a titleblock for a drawing (or even better a set of drawings) for those of us who have to work with odd files like this. This could also work for non-standard ACADE blocks as well. Similar to the export to spreadsheet utility, but not limited to the ACADE attributes.

Message 4 of 4

The data that gets pushed into the title block as Description 1, 2, and 3 is stored as ASCII characters in the .WDP file.  It is a one-way push to the title block.  Of course when version 2012 introduced the ability to export the Drawing Settings to a spreadsheet, that was a welcome addition.  It reads the .WDP file and exports the drawing description lines to the spreadsheet.  And it writes back to the .WDP file when you update from the spreadsheet.  I'm afraid this is the only method I know of for now.  Perhaps someone from Autodesk knows another way.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost