AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation/Location don't update when inserting a Circuit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
AMBram
403 Views, 4 Replies

Installation/Location don't update when inserting a Circuit

In doing a simple test, I created a circuit that consisted of two standard relay coils on a drawing that has default installation/location settings of A/01.  If I insert this circuit on a drawing with installation/location settings of B/01, the circuit's installation/location settings do not update to B/01; they remain set at A/01.  How do I make it update the installation/location properly?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: AMBram

Be sure Project Properties are set to Combined Installation/Location Tag Mode and that the Auto-fill the Installation and Location with the Drawing Default or Last Used box is checked..  (see attached) Do not manually enter Installation and Location into the saved circuit symbols, unless perhaps you have some symbols that should retain their assignment no matter where insertted. 

Hint: When the Installation and Location are picking up the Drawing Defaults the fields will be blank but the Drawing Defaults will appear below each field in a grayed out font.  This is your confirmation that the Installation and Location codes are defaulting to those assigned at drawing level.

Note: The page default will not over-ride Installation and Location codes that are saved with the circuit.  For example, if you have some limit switches in location MACH, assign them using the Project or Drawing buttons, or type in MACH.  Save these in a circuit and the page defaults will not over-ride. 

Upon insert the circuit symbols without a deliberate assignment will adopt the page defaults of the drawing they are inserted too. 

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
AMBram

Thanks for the response, that worked for my simple relay circuit.

However, I did find during the process that if you bring in a circuit with a fixed tag (TAG1F), the Installation/Location do not get updated; you have to manually update them yourself.  Is there a work around to this?

Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander

The purpose of a fixed tag is to maintain the component's identity, no matter where inserted.  Installation and Location are part of the component's identity hierarchy in Combined Installation/Location Tag Mode.  The whole concept of Installation and Location comes from the DIN/IEC standard, where the complete identity of the device is Installation>Location>Tag.  An equal sign usually precedes the Installation, a plus sign precedes Location, and a dash precedes the Tag, (=Installation+Location-Tag).  Hint: The Location Boxes offer an option to add the =, +, etc. for you automatically, as part of the recent enhancements to AutoCAD Electrical.

Leave the Fixed box unchecked before saving the circuit and the component identities will adapt to their new environment..

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
AMBram

Thanks a lot for your help and explanations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost