AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insertion Point Not In Line With Wire Connections???

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Outbound
6845 Views, 8 Replies

Insertion Point Not In Line With Wire Connections???

I am trying to modify the standard AutoCAD destination ellipse (HA5D1_REF) so that the insertion point is on the right side.  Every attempt to do so includes setting the insertion point and the wire connection at the same point (center right).  However, each attempt results in the following error message:  Insertion Point...not in line with wire connections".  After attempting to edit the block, it inserts correctly into the drawing, however, it fails to save.  HA5D1_REF.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
testsubject
in reply to: Outbound

To begin with, you have to follow the ACE file naming convention for signal/destination symbols.

For Horizontal symbols, the first character is "H". For Vertical symbols, use "V"

The 2nd character represents "Arrows"

The third character is the Symbol style.

The fourth character is "D" for "destination and "S" for source.

The fifth character is

1=Wire terminates on the Left.

2=Wire terminates on the Bottom.

3=Wire terminates on the Right.

4=Wire terminates on the Top.

So for the symbol you posted, the file name for Style 5 is  HA5D3.dwg

When I opened the file, It asked me to use the Block Editor. You should not use the Block Editor with ACE Symbols. Use the Symbol Editor Instead. ACE automatically uses 0,0 as the default insertion point for its symbols.

After removing the entities you added and resaving the file, I had no trouble inserting it.

Here is the modified file.

Keep in mind that if you are creating a style you will need 8 symbols; 4 sources (up, down, left, right) and 4 destinations.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 9
Outbound
in reply to: testsubject

Perfect solution.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
Lpena83

I am having the same issue. I have created my symbol, but when I am ready to insert it, in Symbol Builder, I do "Symbol Audit" and I get the same error message 

I have tried to fix this, but I have been unsuccessful. However, I am able to insert my symbol in my drawing, but autocad inserts in a totally different place where I want to insert it. I am sure once the insertion point error is fixed, this should fix the insertion problem, but I just can't figure out how to fix it. Any help is appreciated it. 

I have attached the .dwg file for my symbol. 

Thanks

acad block.jpg

Message 5 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: Lpena83

Open the block as if it was a normal dwg.

Type BASE on the command line

Select the new base point as required.

Free tip, make sure everything is on layer 0. This will allow ACADE to move the various entities within the block to the correct layers.

As an optional step, run the PURGE command and select PURGE ALL. This will get rid of any extra layers, fonts and so on.

Save the block, then go to a new dwg and try to insert the block as a test.

If it works, use the update block tool for any instances in the dwg you are working on. NOTE this will insert the blocks at the current insertion point of the old blocks so you may need to move them to their required location.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
jallenDBQ7U

I am getting "Insertion Point Not In Line With Wire Connections" error on every audit of my insertion blocks (AE Version 2021).  I still don't know what I am getting wrong.  I looked at this thread among others and it seems like the advice is varying.  I have somehow fixed two of my symbols without knowing what I did to fix it.  I deleted all of my terminals and recreated them after starting over multiple times to create them. 

Everything in the symbol is on layer 0 and I have purged everything beyond basic objects out of the symbol.  When I closed the symbol editor with the error and tried to insert my current one.  It says the block does not have a defined pin-list even though all of my pins are there and do have a value.  I continued with the insertion and all my wires work fine with it.  It looks okay as well.  Any ideas?

Message 7 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: jallenDBQ7U

In actual fact, this should not be an error but a warning.

I have made plenty of blocks where the insertion point is nowhere near being inline with the wire connections.

Usually these blocks are for big multi function relays with multiple pairs of wire connections. With these I usually have the top centre of the symbol as the insertion point.

There is nothing wrong with the block in that regard.

As to the pinlist warning, that may be due to not having the correct attribute to hold a pinlist (parent block only).

This would of course be the attribute PINLIST. Of course, you may also get that warning if you have that attribute but without defining the pinlist or have a typo in the list.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
jallenDBQ7U
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for the great information.  I feel much better now.  My insertion point is the same location as the first terminal wire position.

I may have got the pin-list error because I never entered a catalog number on the test insertion.  When I later did it again  I entered the Allen Bradley part number.  It then asked me if I wanted to replace the current pin-list with the one from the catalog. (even though the number entered doesn't exist in the catalog yet).

Message 9 of 9
autodeskSA6KC

I just went though this exercise as well, checked everything listed above and found that the error was due to the symbol insertion point not being in-between wire insertion points that they themselves have to be aligned horizontally or vertically. I built a symbol for a UPS, which is large and has a bunch of terminals; Status terminals on top,  power terminals at the bottom of the object. I selected an insertion point right on a terminal in the center bottom of the object and got this error. Checked everything, it all looked good. Then I realized the status terminals on top were offset by an 1/8" to the right, not aligning with the bottom terminals. I moved the top terminals left 1/8" bringing them in exact vertical alignment and the problem went away. So if you have an object with terminals only on one side and don't want to see this warning, you'd have to create a ghost wire terminal that align with the object orientation or set your terminals such that the object insertion point sits between two terminals. There should a check box to modify this feature or the warning should be eliminated. It serves no purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost