AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert table row crashes AutoCAD

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
paterianus
2530 Views, 6 Replies

Insert table row crashes AutoCAD

I have random crashes while inserting rows into existing tables.  AutoCAD provides no warnings or diagnostic details when it crashes.  What's really strange is that the original files were created in Acad electrical and have no warnings as to which files or when AutoCAD will crash.  So far my only solution has been to open and save the file in base AutoCAD.

Running 2011 Electrical version 3 on Windows 7 x64.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
robert06
in reply to: paterianus

Same problem here with Civil 3D. It has been going on at least from release 2014 and is continuing in 2015 and 2016, cad crashes when adding rows to table. After re-opening the drawing inserting rows the same way at the same spot works normally and will crash again at random moment on the same operation later (if inserting rows again).

This is not file specific, it is happening with most of my files.

Message 3 of 7
robert06
in reply to: robert06

Hi,

In 2017 acad verticals the problem has not appeared.

Message 4 of 7

If you are editing the catalog database file (default_cat.mdb) directly with MS Access , I suggest that you close AutoCAD Electrical first.  It is best to add new part entries via the Lookup dialog in AutoCAD Electrical, in order to avoid errors caused by incorrect formatting of tables and fields in the database.  Ivf you must add a new table, you need to use the utility on the Project Other Tools tab to do so because it ensures that the table is formatted properly.  Of course tables should only be named for the 2nd and 3rd character of the symbol block names they will carry part numbers for.  I say all of this just to illustrate how important it is that the Access database retain a format that the software can interpret.

I know that we sometimes need to enter a group of part numbers, perhaps 10 fuses of different amp ratings.  It is easier to just copy and paste the first entry to create the other variations.  So starting with release 2015 the Catalog Lookup received another upgrade to the select and edit dialogs.  The new interface for selecting/adding/editing part numbers is called the Catalog Browser.  It works in a fashion very similar to a spreadsheet, so you can copy and paste rows to add new entries.  I highly recommend an upgrade if you find yourself adding groups of part numbers very often.  You can add one fuse part number from a series and then copy/paste the row as many times as needed.  Then you only need to change the part number and ratings to add another fuse of the same type, but with a different current rating.  Repeat this procedure for additional entries.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 7
rhesusminus
in reply to: paterianus

They are taking about the AutoCAD table object Doug.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 7

Oh!  Thanks Trond!  I thought they might have left the word Electrical off of AutoCAD Electrical's name, especially since this is the AutoCAD Electrical forum and AutoCAD Electrical uses the table object to create on-drawing reports.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 7
clindner
in reply to: dougmcalexander

We had a similar issue: when we would rt-click in a cell and choose "Rows" -> "Insert Above/Below", AutoCAD would crash. Every time.

What I found was that there was that all of the rows contained unnecessarily merged cells. We were able to unmerge the cells, delete the add'l column, and just increase the width of the remaining column to match the width of the previously merged columns. (If that makes sense!).

After removing the extra merged cells, I was able to insert rows with no problem.

I'm not sure if it was an issue of just (a) attempting to insert a row from a merged cell, or  (b) just the sheer number of rows that contained merged cells (~ 100).

Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Chris Lindner
CAD Technology Consultant @ onebuttoncad.com
AUGI Board of Directors

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost