AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert multiple footprints next to each other from the panel icon menu at once

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
chriswillis5914
821 Views, 11 Replies

insert multiple footprints next to each other from the panel icon menu at once

I got the idea from seeing how the dinrail worked (being able to specify length). 

I have some footprints that I have created (terminals, relays starters etc. )

it would be nice to be able to insert 2,3, etc. X amount of terminals (or relays or whatever) at once instead of inserting them individually.  So when inserting I could specify the # I wanted and have the same insertion point on the leftmost one with the others placed to the right directly next to the first. 

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks in Advance

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: chriswillis5914

When inserting from the schematic list you can insert several foot prints for the same device by using the Use uniform spacing option and setting the x 7 y offset

Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply  Robot Happy

Im not sure how to get to that menu.  I did some searching online but could not come up with anything. What I am doing is just opening a new dwg, clicking the panel tab, clicking the icon men from 'insert component footprints' and selecting the item I want to insert.  What do I need to do to get to the menu that you attached a picture of?

Message 4 of 12

Chris,

Instead of picking the icon menu, select the Schematic List (if you are using the ribbon it is under the arrow). This will allow you to insert multiple components taken from the schematics.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 12

i still dont think im doing something right, i click on schematic component list and can not select the active drawing so I made a new project, added the drawing (niether of which I want to do but it allows me to select active drawing, when I press ok it says no schematic data found.  What am I doing wrong or is there several other steps I have to do before this (make a project, make an electrical wiring diagram, make another drawing for the panel layout, then do an insert schematic list). I would like to just open a new blank dwg, insert a sub-base, dinrail, components, etc (with the ability to insert >1 footprint at a time spaced one right next to the other)

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

You need to select the schematic drawings that contain the components you want to insert so active drawing will not work unless your schematic and layout are on the same drawing.

Message 7 of 12
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

That's not true. The schematic and layout drawing can be on seperate drawings.

Chris,

The sequence of events to make a complete package can go both ways (it used to not be so).

The important parts are:

Create a project.

Create a schematic drawing (blank) and add it to the project.

Create a panel layout drawing (blank) and add it to the project.

At this point the order can go either way: Add components to the schematic from the panel if you did that first or add footprints from the schematic if you did that first.

That is the basic of it.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: testsubject

Yes the schematic and layout drawing can be on separate drawings.  However you are in the layout drawing when you initiate the Insert Footprint (Schematic List) command so selecting active drawing at that time would mean you are selecting your layout and unless your layout has the schematic symbols on it you'll get the error that was mentioned.  so you need to select Project instead of Active drawing and select the drawings that contain the schematic symbols for the components you want to insert.

Message 9 of 12
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

My apologies. I misread your post.

What you say is correct about needing to select the schematics from the project if you plan on inserting comps into a panel that is the active drawing.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 10 of 12

ok, thanks for the help guys. At this point I do not have a schematic, I am just making some generic layouts for our panel shop to reference and was hoping something could be done like the dinrail how it is inserted and repeats or extends itself for the length you specify. 

Message 11 of 12
Icemanau

OK, in this instance, the original ACAD commands are what you need to use....

Insert the block via panel icon menu.

If it's not important to have terminal numbers showing, right click on the block, go to attributes and hide any visible attributes.

Select the block

Use the Array button (or _array command).

Set your number of row or columns - Don't forget that the count includes the block you are duplicating...

Set the distance between the copy insertion points - Tip use the Pick Offset and use the Osnap to get the correct distance.

Click Preview and go from there.

There is one optional step for when the command finishes, IF the dwg is part of a project, run the project update and do a full project update.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

If your using 2012 you can use the new associative array command that can be modified by simply dragging an arrow to add or subtract rows & columns kind of like a dynamic block.  Once your sure the array is the way you want it you have to explode it so the individual footprints can be edited.  For terminals I would still use the terminal strip editor and select new to create a terminal strip that does not exist in a schematic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost