AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including USER1 (2 or 3) as displayable attribute

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dmray
628 Views, 1 Reply

Including USER1 (2 or 3) as displayable attribute

Hey folks.  On the component level, I am looking for a way to display, on screen, different MDB columns.  Currently, the choices are MFG, CAT, TAG, stuff like that.  I'd like to include USER1 (or 2, or 3) as an attribute I can show or hide.  I am currently using USER1 to hold the company's P/.N information, keeping MFG/CAT as manufacturer info.

I saw a thread on here that included a link to a work around.  However, the link was from 2007, and doesn't seem to work anymore.  I am hoping someone is able to point me where I can set this up.

Thanks for the help

Doug (no, the OTHER Doug)

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
drathak
in reply to: dmray

@dmray wrote:

Hey folks.  On the component level, I am looking for a way to display, on screen, different MDB columns.  Currently, the choices are MFG, CAT, TAG, stuff like that.  I'd like to include USER1 (or 2, or 3) as an attribute I can show or hide.  I am currently using USER1 to hold the company's P/.N information, keeping MFG/CAT as manufacturer info.

I saw a thread on here that included a link to a work around.  However, the link was from 2007, and doesn't seem to work anymore.  I am hoping someone is able to point me where I can set this up.

Thanks for the help

Doug (no, the OTHER Doug)

Ha!  I like your signature.

If I understand you correctly, you want to have your symbols (presuming schematic but possibly panel footprints as well) display information about the part from your user columns.  In order for that to be possible, you first have to either add attributes to all your symbols (headache!) or choose an existing ACADE attribute for your purposes and make sure they are set to Visible=Yes.

In order to get your custom attributes to sync across schematic and panel I think you have to use one of the defined ACADE attributes.  The program isn't going to be aware of attribute BOBS_VALUE_HERE in order to synch them up.  ((This may have changed in later versions, I haven't tried it lately.))  There are twelve "RATING" attributes that are recognized.  You could use,for example,  RATING9 for your company part number and RATING10 for company short description.  Oh, but these attributes need to exist in the blocks, so that headache may be unavoidable.

Then you can have your catalog push information into these attributes by using the TEXTVALUE field.  More on that at the link below.  (At least until Autodesk rearranges their knowledge base again.)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACAD_E/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-EB444995-30FB-4814-B41A-3BA8DDDD02D8

Hope this helps!

EDIT:  Ok, just realized the TEXTVALUE field won't let you reference another field.  So maybe that won't work.  Is this the link you found before?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical-General/How-do-I-display-company-internal-USER1-cat...

But this looks promising.  A bit of LISP code, but should get you going.  I need to study that myself...

http://myacade.blogspot.com/2013/05/display-of-internal-part-numbers-on.html

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost