AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC Symbols Add-in

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
stellamarisllc
17046 Views, 23 Replies

IEC Symbols Add-in

Can anyone let me know if Autodesk or another site offers a add-in package for IEC Standards? I know that it comes preloaded with the JIC. However we use IEC. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

From the Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program, select Autocad Electrical 20XX and when you get to the Installation Dialog Box, select Add or Remove Features and select all the symbol styles that you want. It is also from here that you can add manufacturers to the database.

ACE by default installs only the JIC Library (we should be given the option to pick which library)

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 24

Actually you do get the option.  If you select IEC as your default design style you will get the IEC libraries instead of the JIC.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 24

Thanks so much for your help. Chaz Viator Designer Stella Maris LLC 930 West Pont des Mouton Lafayette, LA 70507 Phone: 337-504-5128 Extension: 1024 Fax: 337-504-5344 www.stellamarisllc.com[Description: Description: Description: logo][Description: cid:image003.png@01CD756E.CA2D4830]
Message 5 of 24
sfcbatch94
in reply to: stellamarisllc

Hi Doug,

I've also encounter same problem with IEC symbols, as you were saying it has an option wherein the default drawing can be set to IEC, can you please tell how can this be done. Please forgive me, I'm still new in autocad electrical. Thanks in advance.

Do on what you love to do... success comes next.
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 24

I have been able to load the IEC Library but some of the slides are loading the IEC Symbols and some or still loading the JIC symbol!

Example: The title says IEC: Push Bottons, and the preview is showing the correct IEC symbol for push button, However when you click on the push button icon it shows up as a JIC symbol in model space. It is not doing this for all the slides, just certain ones.

Can anyone shead light on this subject?

Message 7 of 24

The first place I would check is in the Project settings and verify which libraries are selected in the "Libraries and Icon Menu Paths" section. This area determines which symbols are inserted from the menus. These setting are Project specific.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 8 of 24

If you have already inserted symbols into your drawing from the JIC library they remain in your drawing, even if deleted. You should purge your drawing of unused blocks. Type PURGE at the command line and press your Enter key. Purge unused blocks.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 9 of 24

Good Idea Doug. I forgot about that.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 10 of 24

In my Schematic Libraries I removed the “JIC” ones and added the “IEC-60617” and moved it to the top. My Schematic Icon Menu File reads

“ACE_IEC-60617_MENU.DAT”

My Panel Menu is still set to the default. Would that need to change as well?

Message 11 of 24

Purging did not change anything. Still having the same issue

Message 12 of 24

Be sure that there are no symbols already inserted into your drawing. If you already have an HPB11 pushbutton on your drawing and it came from the JIC library folder, you will get a copy of it, even if you attempt to insert one from the IEC60617 menu. Even if you delete it from the drawing you must purge the drawing of unused blocks before Electrical will use symbols from the new library you have assigned.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 24

The panel menu and library is the same for all.  The footprints are physical representations and therefore look the same in any standard.  However, the footprints are in English units, not Metric.  You should go to the Panel configuration menu and set a scale factor of 25.4 if inserting the footprints into a Metric drawing environment.

Doug McAlexander

Message 14 of 24
Icemanau
in reply to: dougmcalexander

First of all, BACKUP all your dwgs in the project in case of problems.

Now go to the Swap/Updat Block function.

In the Update block section, there is a way to swap all blocks to the equivelant block in a different library. Use this to update all your existing blocks at once.

Then do a full rebuild of the project before you double check that everything is correct.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 15 of 24
sfcbatch94
in reply to: stellamarisllc

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tips, it helps to solve my problem.

Cheers,

Eric

Do on what you love to do... success comes next.
Message 16 of 24

Oh, ok thanks Chaz Viator Designer Stella Maris LLC 930 West Pont des Mouton Lafayette, LA 70507 Phone: 337-504-5128 Extension: 1024 Fax: 337-504-5344 www.stellamarisllc.com[Description: Description: Description: logo][Description: cid:image003.png@01CD756E.CA2D4830]
Message 17 of 24

In my Schematic Libraries I removed the "JIC" ones and added the "IEC-60617" and moved it to the top. My Schematic Icon Menu File reads "ACE_IEC-60617_MENU.DAT" My Panel Menu is still set to the default. Would that need to change as well? Chaz Viator Designer Stella Maris LLC 930 West Pont des Mouton Lafayette, LA 70507 Phone: 337-504-5128 Extension: 1024 Fax: 337-504-5344 www.stellamarisllc.com[Description: Description: Description: logo][Description: cid:image003.png@01CD756E.CA2D4830]
Message 18 of 24

The Panel menu stays the same because it is a physical representation of the part which does not change.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 19 of 24

I did have some on a nonvisible layer. That is what it was. Cool! It is working now. Thanks again for your help! Chaz Viator Designer Stella Maris LLC 930 West Pont des Mouton Lafayette, LA 70507 Phone: 337-504-5128 Extension: 1024 Fax: 337-504-5344 www.stellamarisllc.com[Description: Description: Description: logo][Description: cid:image003.png@01CD756E.CA2D4830]
Message 20 of 24

Glad I could help.  Please mark this as resolved.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost