AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC Symbol standards

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
CAD-ICE
6187 Views, 10 Replies

IEC Symbol standards

Hi there,

I have used ACADE for several years and mostly the IEC2 symbol library.

I got a question today where I was asked to which IEC standard the IEC symbol library refers to.

I though that the symbol library was referring to IEC 81346-2 but when inserting a pilot light ACADE tags the symbol with the letter "H" (see attached image). However, according to IEC 81346-2 the component should be tagged with the letter "P" (Presenting information for purposes such as alarming, informing, indicating)

I hope that someone out there or preferrebly at Autodesk can comment on this.

Regards, Gary

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jalger
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Hi Gary,

According to Autodesk literature its:

IEC-60617

See the Following link: (until Autodesk moves it... 🙂 )

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-electrical/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/20...

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 11
jalger
in reply to: jalger

2 is the Text size (2mm) I think there was an IEC4 as well (with 4mm Text).

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 4 of 11
CAD-ICE

Hello James,

I´m aware that the difference between IEC2 and IEC4 is the different attribute size. The symbols are I think the same but the attribute sizes differ for instanse the TAG attribute is 2,5 in the IEC2 but is 3,5 in IEC4.

The IEC60617 library is based on 2 character tagging of components for instance a signallamp is tagged -EAxxx and seems to follow the IEC81346-2 way of tagging when detailed classification of an object is used.

So that´s why I´m asking to which standard IEC2/IEC4 refers to ?? If it´s IEC 81346-2 the tag for a signallamp (LED) should be -P and not -H right?

I have attached two images showing a section of the IEC 81346-2 for your information. The first image shows how a signal lamp is tagged with one characer i.e. -P. The second imaged shows how a signal lamp is tagged with two characters i.e. -EA

Thank´s again for commenting on this tread.

Regards, Gary

Message 5 of 11
jalger

Hi Gary,

Ok so I did some digging, and found that the old IEC2/IEC4 is based on IEC-61346-2.

Which also has the Lights as -p... so I guess it was a typo?

In 2015 they went to IEC 60617 and it shows the -EA.

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 6 of 11
jalger

Correction:

IEC 60617 was added in ACADE 2012.

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 7 of 11
dougmcalexander

The IEC2 and IEC4 libraries were originally created using IEC 61346-1. Autodesk attempted to update the default tag letters but missed a few. You can use a wd_fam.dat file to convert any tag letters to letters of your choice.

Create a text file inside your project folder and name it wd_fam.dat. Edit with Notepad. The syntax is old letters,new letters with no space.

Example:
H,P
Y,K
L,R
D,R

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 11
dougmcalexander

The wd_fam.dat file cannot correct the letter assignment for IEC limit switches. The letter for a limit switch should be B, for sensor. It is currently assigned S. But push-buttons, selector-swItches, and toggle-switches are also assigned S. The wd_fam.dat file would force all S assignments to B. In the case of switches used as a status sensor, like a limit swItch, you will need to open the block files and edit the TAG1 attribute value to be the letter B. Limit switch blocks start with HLS... and VLS... Just open the IEC library folder you are using and edit the block files directly with AutoCAD. Change the TAG1 default value to B and save the file. That's all you need to do.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 9 of 11
CAD-ICE
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi Dough and thank´s for commenting on this thread.

I was aware of that using the wd_fam.dat file has this limitation. 

Few other examples is that some of our customers prefer that timers are tagged -T instead of -K. Also motorstarters are in general tagged -K and not -Q so there´s alway´s some special requirements we need to cope with. 

My intention with this thread is to get some input on what standard the original IEC2/4 symbols are based on (IEC 81346-2).

And finally what IEC standard will rule in the coming years IEC81346-2  or IEC 60617 ?

Regards, Gary

Message 10 of 11
dougmcalexander

Actually the letter T is assigned to transformers and AC/DC converters.

IEC60617 governs the look of the symbols. IEC81346-2 governs tag letters. The IEC60617 library is actually just the IEC library with updated tag letters to match IEC81346-2. Autodesk decided to name the newer IEC library folder IEC60617, which doesn't really indicate that it is actually the same symbols as IEC2 and IEC4 with updated tag letters. The IEC2 and IEC4 libraries use IEC61346-2 letters.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 11
CAD-ICE
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Allright, so the IEC 60617 library is based on the IEC 81346-2 and the tag letter coding for the symbols is based on standar letter codes of subclasses related to main classes (2 letter coding). The correct letter coding of a control relay would be -K using the main class coding but -KF using the main and subclass coding according to IEC 81346-2. It would be nice if Autodesk would update the IEC2/4 libraries such that they followed the IEC 81346-2 with the main class coding (single character) such that both libraries were up to latest standards don´t you agree?

Thank´s again and regards, Gary

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost