AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble getting sub-assemblies to show up on a BOM.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jhornbr225
1532 Views, 14 Replies

I'm having trouble getting sub-assemblies to show up on a BOM.

Hello,

I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2011, and I have followed any directions I can find regarding sub-assemblies, but when I run a BOM report, the sub-assembly does not show up.

For example:

I used ABB part A75N3-30-11-84. I want ot use the ABB suppressor RC5-2/250.

I edited my Catalog Record for A75N3-30-11-84 so that it has an ASSEMBLYCODE of RC5-2/250. I then checked the box "As Main -> subassembly".

I then created a Catalog Record for RC5-2/250, and checked the "As Subassembly" box.

I then went to my drawing and Inserted a component, using the Electrical Insert, and dropped in a motor starter. I then did a catalog data lookup and selected the A75N3-30-11-84. On the Insert/Edit Component dialog I see the Manufacturer (ABB), the Catalog(A75N3-30-11-84), and the Assembly(RC5-2/250). When I go to "Reports" and run a BOM, I see the A75N3-30-11-84, but I don't see the RC5-2/250.

Got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Check that the AssemblyCode value for the main part and the AssemblyList value for the subassembly part are identical in every way, including spaces.  It is best to click the down-arrow next to the AssemblyList field and select the AssemblyCode value that is stored there from when you entered it into the main part.  I haven't spotted any issues with sub-assemblies and that is a big part of each of the training classes I teach.  We do spot some "bugs" in training but we have not seen a problem with associating sub-assemblies, as long as the codes match.  Most likely there is a mismatch between the ASSEMBLYCODE and ASSEMBLYLIST values.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 15
Icemanau
in reply to: jhornbr225

What type of BOM are you doing and what options have been selected. This could have an impact when you try to get the sub components on the BOM.

To check the Main and Assembly codes are correct, do a catalogue check after you select the main part. This should show any sub assembly components associated with the main component you have selected. If only the main component shows up, the problem is with your code between components as per Dougs answer. If they do show up, it more than likely has something to do with your BOM options. 

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
jhornbr225
in reply to: Icemanau

OK, thanks for responding guys. I have double checked to make sure that the ASSEMBLYCODE and ASSEMBLYLIST are exactly the same. I used the dropdown. The part actually shows up on the ASSEMBLY field in the "Insert/Edit Component" screen. I then hit "Catalog Check", and it's not there, only the main part, not the sub.

Message 5 of 15
Icemanau

Do you have the code 'RC5-2/250' in the sub assembly box next to the check box. This is what ACADE uses to match up the sub components to the main components.

I've attached two screenshots showing how they are set up using an indicator assembly.

The Assembly Code calls for 2 different sub components seperated by a semi colon.

The Assembly List is for one of those sub components. As you can see the value in the Assembly list box matches one of the codes in the Assembly code box in the first screen shot. If you have to, edit the main component, copy and then past the Assemblycode into the AssemblyList box as this will make sure they are EXACTLY the same.

One thing that I have noted is that both items MUST be in the same table for the codes to work. I can't have a code call for a indicator lamp on an illuminated pushbutton from the PB table if that lamp is in the IL table. Both entries must be in the PB table.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
jhornbr225

I've included screen shots of my "Edit Catalog Record" Table MS. Yes, both the snubber and the contactor are in table MS.

Message 7 of 15
Icemanau

Everything appears to be correct there, so I'm not sure on why it isn't working for properly you.

Only thing I can sugggest is to remove the count setting and try that. Other than that, I can't help any further.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Message 8 of 15

Are you sure there are no spaces? Try another code, like SUPPRESSOR for both.  See if that works, just as a test.  Then you will know that something was wrong with the other code.  Enter the code as the AssemblyCode value for the main part.  Then go to the sub-assembly part, check the "As subassembly" box, and click the down arrow next to AssemblyList.  Select SUPPRESSOR from this list.  This will ensure that both codes match.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 9 of 15
jhornbr225

OK, I think I got it working. I was using a secondary file that I had created and placed in a different location. I had taken the original default_cat.mdb, stripped out all the parts I'll never use, and copied it to another location. I was then selecting parts from the secondary file. I found that if I selected parts from the default file, that was in the default location, then I can get the sub-assemblies to show up. So now I've made a backup copy of the default_cat.mdb file named "original default_cat.mdb". I have then taken the default_cat.mdb file and stripped out what I won't use. I've then added my sub-assemblies, and it seems to work. I've followed the exact same procedure as before, except now I'm in the default file and location. I've included a catalog check of the part that is now working. 

Thanks for the help and suggestions! 

Message 10 of 15

If these are parts you normally use, they should be in default_cat.mdb.  The purpose of the secondary file is that you can switch to it only when needed, in case you need to grab a part you had deleted from the default_cat.mdb, one that you didn't think you would need again, or one you rarely use.  Keep standard parts in the default_cat.mdb, but keep it trimmed down to only your standard parts. This increases the seek time for a Lookup.  I cover this in more detail on the Tips/Tricks page at www.ecadconsultant.com.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 15

Yes, I agree. There are literally tens of thousands of parts in the default that I'll never use. I didn't think that changing the location of the file would make a difference, as I'm still setting that  path as the secondary file. Evidentally, it matters. Anyway, I'm, back to work with sub-assemblies working. Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Message 12 of 15

I meant to say keeping only your standard parts in the default_cat.mdb file "decreases" the seek time for a Lookup, not "increases" the seek time.  The smaller the default_cat.mdb file, the quicker the Lookup process.  This is why Autodesk recommends during the installation process that you only select the manufacturers you actually use.  If you do select all, then copy the default_cat.mdb file and rename the copy to something like complete_cat.mdb.  This can serve as a secondary Lookup catalog.  Next delete all non-standard parts from default_cat.mdb and use the MS Access Compact/Repair utility.  This removes the blank spaces left from deleting the parts you don't think you will need.  Of course be sure to set your projects up so they reference the secondary file, in case you ever need to select it for a special case.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 15
rgibson123

When i try to set up the sub-assemblies they dont work when using a secondary catalog file on a network.

Any reason why? how to fix that?

It works fine with the catalog on local drive. But for obvious reasons, i want my catalog on the network.

Im using Autocad Electrical 2012.

thanks

roger

Message 14 of 15
emiller
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Sorry to bring an old threead back to life. but i am in a simular situation...

I am trying to great a VFD with ethner communications and an trying to add the ethernet cable to the sub assembly so it always gets ordered if I use that VFD. Is there any way to do this?

Message 15 of 15
dougmcalexander
in reply to: emiller

I just tested with version 2014. I created a subassembly that includes a master part number from the secondary catalog (MS table) and a subassembly part (using Multiple Catalog) assigned from the primary catalog (C0 table).  The catalog check shows both parts plus their description, which indicates that the software is reading both databases.  (see attached screen capture) Are you trying to use the Assembly Code method by chance? 

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost