AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to specify wire connection position on terminal block

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
david_brude
1118 Views, 6 Replies

How to specify wire connection position on terminal block

how do i specify a terminal that will have 1 connection on one side and 2 on the other. this terminal is a push-in terminal, not a screw type and the number of wires per connection is 1. so basically the terminal has 3 connections. Regards, Dave
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Icemanau
in reply to: david_brude

For drafting, there is a tool to set the Internal/External connections on a terminal. I'm not sure where it is on the ribbon, but if you look under the Wires dropdown, it is under Wires Miscellaneous->Terminal Direction Connection.

Internal is the LEFT when Vertical and BOTTOM when rotated 90 degrees to Horizontal.

External is the RIGHT and TOP for the same positions.

If the terminal only has the one PHYSICAL connection point (which you seem to have indicated) that will be a bit more difficult.

You have several options here

1. Change the terminal to one that has 2 connections to each side.

2. Have the two wires connect at a different location an only one wire to the terminal.

3. Use a Double BOOTLACE on the two wires before insertion into the terminal.

4. Use two terminals with a jumper to connect them. leave one side empty and have the two connections on the other.

For option 3, you will have to edit the terminal properties so ACADE won't add an extra terminal using the Terminal Properties Database Editor.

This is located under the Components dropdown under Terminals.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
david_brude
in reply to: Icemanau

Thank you Brad for the suggestions.

I've attached a picture of the particular terminal in question. The side with one connection could be internal or external. For sake of discussion I would assign the one connection side to external. The software makes assumptions, I think, that you're using screw terminals. These particular terminals are like spring cage terminals that allow you to insert a ferruled or bare wire without needing any tool. Their limitation is one wire per connection.

Message 4 of 7
testsubject

Maybe you can do something like this. You would associate the left terminal with the right terminal so tha they would stay together for the panel.

Terminal.png

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 7
Icemanau

Ahhh looks like one of the Weidmuller ZDU range.

The only option you would have here is to edit the terminal database and change the number of wire connections to 2.

You will have to keep in mind that there is a possibility of secondary wire connections on the side with only one connection.

The database only has one value for the number of wire connections per side.

Regards Brad 

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
david_brude
in reply to: Icemanau

Bob and Brad, Thank you for your comments. The thought did occur to us that 2 wire connections would need to be specified and it would be up to the user to make sure they only used 3. This terminal is from Phoenix Contact. Bob, your idea was good too. We may create a unique symbol to call attention to the 3 connection limit.

Regards,

David

Message 7 of 7
Icemanau

I've put in a post on the idea station to update the Terminal Properties database to allow the number of wires per side to be defined rather than an overall value.

Hopefully it's something that will come through in about 3 or 4 years.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost