AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to reduce size of Project file & .dwg in Autocad Electrical?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
apurva_123
981 Views, 5 Replies

how to reduce size of Project file & .dwg in Autocad Electrical?

I want to reduce size of overall project. Project consists of 5 dwgs,one of them I made in 3D. Does 3D componets are reason for increased file size? How can I reduce size of dwg file too?Is there any proper method to reduce file size in AutoCAD Electrical?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
drathak
in reply to: apurva_123

@apurva_123 wrote:

I want to reduce size of overall project. Project consists of 5 dwgs,one of them I made in 3D. Does 3D componets are reason for increased file size? How can I reduce size of dwg file too?Is there any proper method to reduce file size in AutoCAD Electrical?

3D will take up more space than 2D.  One way to reduce drawing size is to purge any unused block definitions. 

How big are you talking?  My drawing files average about 250K each.  Pretty small in my opinion.  (Then too I'm used to digital camera files that are a couple gigs each.)

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 6

Like drathak said, purge unused blocks. There is a great tool for this in Project Utilities. Check the box for purge and click OK. Process all drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for your reply. But there is confusion between AutoCAD Purge command and Autocad Electrical Project utilities tool->Purge all unused Blocks.

Are they different? I want to ask you that Result of this two tools are Different?

Because when I used purge command , It reduced file size from 15 MB to 4MB and when I used project utilities tool , It reduced file size from 2MB to 211KB.

Message 5 of 6

Purge from AutoCAD Electrical utilities is the safest method for AutoCAD Electrical drawings.   It purges unused blocks only, and it can purge all drawings automatically. AutoCAD purge can purge all if you aren't careful, so you can lose much more than just unused blocks, and you have to run it manually for each drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 6

Thank you. I really appreciate your answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost