AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to? Pinlist entry for component with four pins

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
drathak
385 Views, 9 Replies

How to? Pinlist entry for component with four pins

Ok so I have no issues doing 2 pin or 3 pin components.  But they way I'm trying to set up some solid state relays has me scratching my head.  For these relays, the potential sensing coils are connected internally as shown in the attached image.

Any thoughts on how to model these?  I know I can make the symbols work, but I don't see how to allow for that in the pinlist.  or am I missing something with the type 4?  I know it is multi-pole....maybe I need to read a bit more.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rhesusminus
in reply to: drathak

See attached drawing. Here I have child component with 4 pins. All pin numbers are assigned from the parents pinlist.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 10
Icemanau

Proceed as if the item is a standard 2 or 3 pin device. just keep adding the terminal numbers until you have them all inserted.

Using a 5 terminal child block for an example, the pinlist entry would read

4dev,term01,term02,term03,term04,term05,*short description.

Just make sure the terminal sequence matches the sequence used for the terminals on the block.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
davidhall
in reply to: Icemanau

Maybe I'm making this harder than it seems, but...

I can see the XDATA for the pinlist in the dwg above, that makes sense.  My question is if you were trying to make a standard symbol, how would you attach the xdata before the WBLOCK?  Is that in the symbol builder?

David
Everyone has a photographic memory,
some just don't have film.
Message 5 of 10
davidhall

Which brings up another question - when to edit the DB vs pinlist on block
David
Message 6 of 10
Icemanau
in reply to: davidhall

The standard block does not hold the pinlist data. That is actually held in the catalogue database under the _PINLIST_MANUFCTURER group.

When a parent block is inserted and the catalogue information filled in (or selected from the catalogue DB), ACAD looks up the pinlist for the manufacturer if it exists, finds the entry that corresponds to the catalogue/part number of the component and filles in the XDATA in the pinlist attribute.

When a child component is linked to the parent, ACADE will fill in the terminal numbers from this xdata to match the contact type.

To answer your question, It's better to always fill in the DB as the block may be used for mutiple brands/parts with different terminal numbers and so on.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
davidhall

That makes sense.  I had come to basically the same conclusion this weekend thinking about it.

David
Message 8 of 10
davidhall

I edited the SW table, added the switch, put in ABB as manufacture, and when I insert the block, it wants to look at the SS table.  What am i missing here?

David
Message 9 of 10
davidhall

ok, i got part of the answer.  My blockname had SS as 2-3 characters, so that was part of the problem.

David
Message 10 of 10
Icemanau

In your block, you also need to change the Family attribute to match. This means changing the family default 'SS' to read 'SW'.

ACAD reads the family from there and uses this in naming the block.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost