AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Insert a Curly Bracket?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
chris.white
39877 Views, 13 Replies

How to Insert a Curly Bracket?

Hi all,

I am struggling how to find out how to insert a standard curly bracket into drawings to sum up two wires.

For example....  Bracket Example

I tried to use the keyboard entry coupled with increasing the font size but it just looks stupid.

Are these available to insert from within CAD as standard?

Cheers.

Chris White

AutoCAD Electrical 2015 SP1 Workstation: -
Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 @ 2.60Ghz
32GB RAM
500GB SSD
nVidia Quadro K4000
Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Icemanau
in reply to: chris.white

Here's a quick way of making those brackets to suit. NOTE that I've used snap points as I don't know what your settings are. The various movements can be varied to suit what you need or you can copy and stretch them as needed.

Start by selecting Polyline. Click on the start point and go 2 snap poiints left. click and then go down 10 snap points. Click again and go left another 2 snap points. Click again and now go right (It will make sense) 2 snap points. Again click and go down another 10 snap points. click and go right another 2 snap points, click and then exit the polyline command.

Now select the fillet tool. Hit 'R' and then space. Enter the value of your snap divisions and hit enter. Finally hit P and space then select the polyline drawn above.

You should now have a curly bracket on your screen.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 14
azlin

why dont you use a dynamic block?, please insert this block in your drawing,pick/select the curley and you can see 2 arrow which will allow you to mirror & strech. if you use it more frequently put it in icon menu which will allow you to find it fast.

Message 4 of 14
Icemanau
in reply to: azlin

I've never had any luck with creating dynamic blocks that stretch.

Thanks for the block but my version of ACADE won't open it due to a version incompatability.

As it only takes me a minute or two to do each bracket, it doesn't really bother me all that much as I only use one or two per panel dwg set normally.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 5 of 14
chris.white
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for all the help guys!

In the end I just downloaded the bracket block from this site: -

http://www.draftsperson.net/index.php?title=Symbols:_Brackets_-_Free_AutoCAD_Blocks

I will have a go at drawing my own though, just to get better at using different line styles in CAD.

Because I use the Electrical package, so much of it is icons and components so there isn't much requirement for free drawing.

Cheers.

Chris White

AutoCAD Electrical 2015 SP1 Workstation: -
Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 @ 2.60Ghz
32GB RAM
500GB SSD
nVidia Quadro K4000
Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
Message 6 of 14
sonny3g

Check out CADALYST ToolTips.  One of their older tips has a VBA routine to draw a curly brace based on two selected points and the setting of USERR3.  On my system I wrote a custom VB.NET routine to draw a brace, but it stills needs a little work before I am ready to share it.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 7 of 14
g.boyd

We've been looking for something similar here. Azlin's dynamic block is by far the slicker way to go. Works a treat!!

Message 8 of 14
dshood

Use this lisp routine to make a couple of different brackets... be carefull and read the command line...

Enjoy...

Dave S.

Message 9 of 14
sharpl

Gracias! WORKS LIKE A CLOCK 🙂

Message 10 of 14
curtisclark

Kudos on the dynamic brace block. Works perfectly for what I needed it for, very nicely proportioned. Two modifications I made that I found helpful in my case:

- converted the drawing units to millimeters, since ~8mm is about perfect size in paper space (or at 1:1 scale).

- replaced the 'flip' action with a 'rotate' action, which basically does the same, but without having to rotate manually sometimes

Again, thanks a bunch!

Message 11 of 14
Message 12 of 14
dshood

I have a great lisp routine you can load and make brackets of your choice!

Just load the routine and enjoy!

Message 13 of 14
anthony_byars
in reply to: dshood

This lisp only creates half the bracket for me.

Message 14 of 14
dshood
in reply to: anthony_byars

Make sure you read the prompts and make sure you don't have your osnaps on!
Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost