AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a new component in ACE2006?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
202 Views, 5 Replies

How to create a new component in ACE2006?

I am a new user of ACE2006. Our company had bought two license of ACE2006. We didn't buy training program from the Autodesk authorized agent because we have no time from its training. I found that the Getting Started Book is only a basic introduction about ACE2006 after I carefully read it. I think Autodesk should provide free manual for customers' self-learning.

I have two questions which are not introduced in its Getting Started Book and it help file.
1) How to create a component which can be used and identified by ACE2006 just like it default component? Should I create a new user symbol library? if yes, how to create a new user library and a new component?

2) How to set a new project configuration? Which files should be included? I cannot find the location code, such as MCAB5,MACHINE, in the "Insert/Edit child component"dialog box in the new project. and What do these location codes stand by?

Thanks and Regards,
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

To your question regarding creating symbols, there is another thread from yesterday and today on this topic. However, ACE comes with a complete JIC symbol library, so unless you are itching to spend a lot of time creating symbols, I'd suggest you use what's "in the box".

The location code is added when you instert a device. The insert/edit component dialog box is where the parts information, and there is a box for the location code as well.

Recently, there have been many comments in this forum regarding a User's Manual for ACE. For what I have seen, I thnk that Autodesk is taking this issue under consideration. My humle opinion is that a book like this might be expensive to write and publish, so if we users really want this, we might expect to pay a bit more for a copy of ACE. I say it would be worth it.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I use the "Black Box Builder" to make my own symbols. I draw the general outline on layer 0. Run Black box builder and this will add all the required attributes (and more!). I "wblock" and save to a folder, I don't insert the symbol until I have opened it and "tweaked" it a little. It is possible to create a icon for your symbol and add it to the "Add Component" dialog, but I haven't bothered with this and generally browse for my symbols in the special folder I created. I append the filename with something meaningful!

Regarding documentation, I am glad to hear that Autodesk is going to produce a manual. I am expecting a book with at least 600 pages, carefully written and indexed!

No, it should be included in the current price of the application. I find it hard to believe that something as complex (and powerful) as ACE could have been released without it.

You are going to have a very steep "learning curve" on your own. This discussion group has been a great help to me. You will get there - eventually.

John
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi,John,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I think just like you about Autodesk service. It is unfair for us Autodesk customers to spent more time and more money for their training. I think they should give us free training after we buy its software licenses.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot find the components which I needed in the standard library. For example, I need a transformer which has triangle link in its first side and star-link in its second side.

I tried to edit a component from "DesignCenter/DC Online" but the components from "DesignCenter/DC Online" are identified as BLOCK without component properties.

The location code was not added when I inserted a new component. It is empty in the location code dialog box. But It appeared when I open your demo drawings. I guess there maybe some problems in project configuration setting but I cannot find any information about it in help files and the Getting Started Book.

I strongly suggest that Autodesk company should publish the information about how to set new project environment and media materials of demo training in their website.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

One way to create a new component is to copy a similar symbol that comes
with AutoCAD Electrical into your new symbol name. (Read online Help under
Printed -> Symbol Libraries for naming conventions, etc.). Then edit the
graphics to match what you need but the main attributes will be there
already. If you have to add wire connections you might want to use the Black
Box Builder to place those so you get the correct attributes.

As far as getting a Location value when you insert a component, by default
it comes in blank. You can enter a value in while you are in the Insert/Edit
dialog. The thought is that you will have different components at different
locations, i.e. field or panel, on the same drawing. If you want a default
filled in each time you insert a new component you would set it up following
these steps. (Assuming AcadE 2006)

First you set your project to use automatic fill for location -
Right click on the project name in the Project Manager
Select Properties
Select the Setup button in the Tagging section at the top
On the next dialog select the last check box, auto-fill option.
OK out of all dialogs.

Now you need to set the default for the drawing. (Each drawing can have a
different one or it can be blank)
Open the drawing and pick Projects -> Drawing Configuration
In the upper right select the Setup button for IEC Coding.
Enter a default Location (bottom edit box)
OK

Next time you insert a new component on this drawing the Location code
should be pre-filled with the drawing default.

Hope this helps,
Pat Murnen
(Autodesk)

wrote in message news:4834006@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thank you for your reply.

I cannot find the components which I needed in the standard library. For
example, I need a transformer which has triangle link in its first side and
star-link in its second side.

I tried to edit a component from "DesignCenter/DC Online" but the components
from "DesignCenter/DC Online" are identified as BLOCK without component
properties.

The location code was not added when I inserted a new component. It is empty
in the location code dialog box. But It appeared when I open your demo
drawings. I guess there maybe some problems in project configuration setting
but I cannot find any information about it in help files and the Getting
Started Book.

I strongly suggest that Autodesk company should publish the information
about how to set new project environment and media materials of demo
training in their website.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost