AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping my dad with a project

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
255 Views, 3 Replies

Helping my dad with a project

So my dad is doing an 80 hour contract job for a packaging plant and they wanted him to make a new program with Visilogic and gave him a dongle with all of AutoDesk's software of which neither of us have much experience with, I took a course in high school and that's about as far as my knowledge goes and he used AutoCAD when working for a blow molding plant 10 years ago and hasn't used any of the software since.

He has most of the schematic/ladder part of the work done and is working on making the program on Visilogic but we have a week left to get the remaining work done which I decided I wanted to help him get it done since he probably wouldn't have enough time to get it done on time. So anyways on to the point of this post. I'm trying to make a Bill of Materials list in CAD as well as a component view such as grabbing an enclosure and sub-panel from Hoffman's website and dropping them into CAD, I have the enclosure where I want it but if I try to put the sub-panel on the existing enclosure it isn't visible, I just see a dot where the sub panel should be if I follow the same steps I used to put the enclosure into CAD.

I can open up a new window and lay the panel on it and it's visible there, I know there must be some fundamental and probably stupid simple method to do what I want but my limited knowledge is keeping me from it. So what I would really appreciate is if someone could point me in the right direction, all I need to do is put the enclosure into CAD then put a sub-panel inside that and put components on the panel. It seems like it would be really simple like how I do with photoshop or AutoDesk 3dsMax/Mudbox but it's just not sinking in.

So does anyone have any suggestions or a link to a tutorial that might lead me in the right direction and help me solve this connundrum?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ccad2509
in reply to: Anonymous

problem 1 could be a scalling issue putting inches panel into metric drawing when inseting the panel details

problem 2 this dongle if its the educational software it watermarks all drawings created and will spread the watermarking if you use the drawings in a comercoial enviroment

autodesk will remeove the watermarks but want to know how it got there

theres plenty of youtube videos on autodesk products to point you in the right direction

Message 3 of 4
sonny3g
in reply to: Anonymous

My first thought is to check on the layers visibility.  In most cases with Hoffman, they have a lot of layers in each drawing and some of them are hidden in the model.  The second issue has to do with layers being hidden in a layout viewport.  And finally, depending on what enclosure you are using, there might not be a panel included in the model and it will have to be added separately.

Hope that helps.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: sonny3g

Thanks for these replies, we were given an extension by the company. We basically explained that it was silly that they wanted us to do something most people go to college for 4 years to learn to do but instead do it in 2 weeks. I will look into this layering stuff, I got a friend locally that might be able to help when he has time. Again thanks for the info.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost