AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with creating a diode terminal component in the builder!

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
krisatce
1261 Views, 1 Reply

Help with creating a diode terminal component in the builder!

Hey folks and folkesses!

I am having to create a symbol because there doesn't seem to be one within the IEC component library! The actual part that we will be using is this:

http://katalog.weidmueller.de/procat/Product.jsp;jsessionid=06C79E303E1A84E7EBCED4A2F6BB3966?product...

I think it should be drawn like the attached image shows. As there doesn't seem to be one I drew it from scratch to look like this image. When I create this particular part in Symbhol Builder I am a little confused at what I should be assigning it. For instance:

What attribute type should I create it as? H/V Parent/Child or as a H/V Terminal? Either way, what will then be its type? Also, when in the editor, what should I assign the Tag1 Value to? The tutorial says 'PS'??!

Lastly (as if that wasn't enough!!..) when I come to save the item, can anyone suggest a catalog lookup family that would be suitable? When I have saved this, will I be able to find it in the Insert Component Icon Menu?

Crikey, finished! I'm learning quickly so hopefully I'll be able to start helping others out soon! Thanks alot for your help and suggestions!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: krisatce

It's still a diode, the terminal block is the packaging.  That's not important for the schematic symbol.  We still use a transistor symbol whether the transistor is packaged as TO-92, TO-3, etc. 

I use SPST relays that are packaged as a terminal block, but they are still control relays and thus belong to the CR family.  You wouldn't create a special symbol to represent a control relay, just because it plugs into a base and is held in place with retainer clips.  It's function is relay.  Of course for the panel layout symbol (footprint) I create a symbol that looks like the forward profile of the package.

If this isn't an exotic diode, use symbol VDI1 or VDI1R.  The Catalog Table should be DO, so a WDBLKNAM will be used to redirect the Lookup to the DO table.  That's where Electrical stores diode part numbers.  Normally the Lookup opens the table that is named for the 2nd and 3rd character of the symbol file name, but DI is the table that stores DIN rail part numbers.  Why?  DR couldn't be used for DIN rail because it was used for motor "Drives".  So the WDBLKNAM attribute value for diode symbols was filled with DO to redirect the Lookup to the DO table.  The letters DO aren't used with JIC or NFPA, from whence the table names are based, so DO was available as a table name.  The letters DO are close enough to represent diode.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost