AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Assemblies

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
213 Views, 8 Replies

Help with Assemblies

I have this issue:
I can read from my schematic the electrical materials that i use (i.e. a relay). But when i draw the layout or extract a report, i would very much appreciate it if ACADE would smartly read somwhere all the accesory components to it (i.e: the relay mount, the screws and washers that hold it in place, etc.).
Can this be done with assembly/subassembly codes or in some other way?
Thanks for the time.

Saludos.
Alejandro.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

It can be done with ASSY and SUBASSY. If you are in a hurry, just enter the relay base, retainer clips, etc. under the Multiple B.O.M. feature, just below Catalog Lookup in the Edit Component screen. You can enter up to 10 additional items. I do this with fuses and fuseholders, relays, bases, and clips.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

That´s excelent! Thank you, i will try it right away.
Does it only work for BOM reports? Or can you use it for a panel layout "from schematic list"?

Saludos.
Alejandro.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi.
Yes, the mulitple catalog is working just fine.
How do you do it with the assy and subassy codes? is it better? Perhaps this way i can get these imported from SS and not enter them by hand? Thanks!

Regards.
Alex.

Happy holidays!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

The problem I found with using the Muliple Catalog feature is that it doesn't show quantites on the BOM for those components entered there. I have not tried the ASSY or SUBASSY features, yet.

-Steve
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I found a workaround for that, look.
If you use the tallied list format, the bom will show all the subitems. Then, all the sub items will show in subqty, not on qty. Then, it will discriminate an empty fuseholder from a fuseholder with a fuse. So finally, you remove the item number from the report fields and voila, you get them all together. Of course, you don´t get an item field, but my boms are no larger than 10-15 items so it´s bearable.
Hope it works.

Regards.
Alex.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Nice workaround. However, I need the Item field. I will have to experiment with they ASSY and SUBBASSY features.

Thanks for trying.

-Steve
Message 8 of 9
dougmcalexander

Steve, I have suggested the ITEM field for Multiple BOM items because some companies require that everything get an item number. The more requests that Autodesk sees the higher to the top of the development list that may go. In the meantime, the way I handle relays is as follows: I have three smart footprints, the base, the retainer clips and the relay coil. All I did was draw the footprint and break it into three wblocks. Each has the same insertion point. I place the base and clip blocks down from the Browse feature on the Panel Footprint Insert menu. You can also add them to the Icon Menu using the Icon Menu Wizard if you desire. I place the coil down from the Schematic List so it gets an "x" as done. I don't mind doing it this way because it more closely reflects how the relay is assembled anyway; three parts. There is another way to do it and still get an ITEM number. Use the Generic Marker feature and just place down some text representing the clips and base. I like the first way better. I use Generic Markers for wireway caps and I display the length of the wireway cap as part of the description. I use Generic Markers to call out screws, washers, etc. I will attach a drawing I just did that uses all methods I mentioned above. It even has fuses and fusholders. Mouse over and you will notice that the fuseholder is separate from the fuse and even the fuseholder endsection. The fuse is the grey rectangle in the middle. That actually represents the view of the fuse once it is placed into the holder anyway. Use the Panel Footprint Editor on anything you see in the drawing and you will see an item number. I made no use of the Multiple BOM feature.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 9 of 9
dougmcalexander

Just to clarify the previous drawing I posted, the fuseholders are intentionally placed upside down, because the customer wants the line side on top and the load side on bottom. Since the internal jumperbar that connects multiple fuseholders to a single source is on the hinge side, there was no option but to mount the fuseholder with hinge side up. I just wanted to clarify that so you will understand why the fuseholder end section is on the left most fuseholder, not the right most.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost