AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help a newbie

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gmccormick
420 Views, 3 Replies

Help a newbie

I am stumbling my way through learning ACADE.  

A couple questions.

1. When creating a new drawing in a project, if you select location for that drawing, does everything on that drawing have that location?  I thought it would, but its looking like the blocks on the drawing do not necessarily get the drawings loction.

2. If the blocks do not inherit the location, do you normally assign locations to everything you put on schematic?

3. I have a project that will have several boxes (large enclosures, junction boxes, etc) Each enclosure will endup with its own panel layout and bom hopefully.  If I try and do this, will I be able to reuse item numbers?  

Thanks

Garrett

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
drathak
in reply to: gmccormick

First off, if at all possible, get some training.  Self teaching yourself this program is a hefty proposition.

That said, the Installation and Location codes aren't really that important unless you are using the IEC tagging convention that uses those two codes plus the TAG1 value to uniquely identify parts. (Which we do.) So...

1. That sets the default location code for that drawing, yes, and if you don't give a component any location code, I think it uses that one for some things.  (I'll have to double check that when I'm back at work to be sure.)  But it doesn't HAVE to be that.

2. As I mentioned above, if you are using the IEC tagging mode, you really should.  Otherwise you could theoretically end up with two different components with the same resultant TAG. (INST+LOC+TAG1)  We do assign INST & LOC codes to everything.

3. Separate Layout and BOM are easy.  Not sure what you mean about reusing Item numbers.  Pretty sure item numbers are assigned project wide, so if you mean Widget-123 is Item 5 in every location, sure.   That's how it works.  If you mean Item 5 is different in different locations, no.  I don't think you can do that right out of the box.

Hope this helps!

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 4
drathak
in reply to: drathak

Forgot that I had my laptop here.

In the image below you can see the component tab of the project settings dialog box.  This is where you set how it handles the INST & LOC codes.  You can also choose whether the program tries to use the defaults or not.  Hope this helps!

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 4 of 4
rbdunniii
in reply to: gmccormick

Adding the Location to the drawing properties doesn't assign it to all the components on the pages.

The nice thing about adding the install and location attributes to components in your schematics and panels. It will allow you to have terminal strips and terminal blocks with the same tag in your drawings.  Because The install and location attributes help ACADE tell that those termainal strips and terminal blocks are located in differently.  I have not tried doing with other components, but it does work for terminal blocks.

Example, I use TB1, TB2 and so on, with location being the location of the junction box or enclosure they are in, and the install code being the JB or enclosure name they are in.

Hope this helps with your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost