AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glitch Issues

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mgoolsby75
245 Views, 3 Replies

Glitch Issues

Well... I just got reamed a new ****, because apparently ACE is not saving properly within it's own database. I made some changes to a DWG. file and when I was finished, I PDF'd the Documents and placed them on our server. Well... About 20 minutes later my boss asked me if I had made the changes and I told him that I did make the changes. He replies back and said that I didn't. Well, come to find out that that the PDF's were right, but some of the DWG files were changed and some were not. Can someone please explain what is going on with ACE and if you have had similiar problems with the software doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

It depends upon the exact type of edits you performed.  The database is only a reflection of the drawings.  The PDFs are a conversion of the drawings, which would explain why they matched your drawings, including the drawings that were not updated.

The main reason that drawings might not be updated as expected is if a project-wide update was needed but not performed.  If you performed an edit that required an update to other drawings but chose to add the updates to the Task List, instead of Batch Processing immediately, the other affected drawings will not be updated until you right-click on the project and execute the Task List.  I'm not saying that this is what happened to you, but it is a possible pitfall.  The same thing can happen with database-driven programs, and they don't offer to run the update process immediately, they add the task to the database and update the next time the pages are opened.  With AutoCAD Electrical, I always Batch Process the update immediately, instead of adding to the task list.  This ensures that my project drawings stay synchronized in real time.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
johnq
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi DOUG & MGOOLSBY75

Doug:  When you say batch process/save....Is that the same as doing a save before swapping from one drawing to another?

As to M Goolsby;  it almost sound like he is working at my last employeer.   We did find that with ACE,  Adobe PDF creater "lost" drawing pieces,  this was also a problem with Inventer.

We found that  CutePDF was more reliable for ACE. & Inventer.

I have harped on this before, a busy network will loose data to printers and especially if devious users have set their printing to RAW printing.  This by passes the crude spooler in WIndows.

I believe that a non CAD apporved printer that has Post Script is as good as an approved CAD printer.

Just my perception.   johnq

Message 4 of 4

When you perform an edit that affects other drawings in the project, ACE offers to update the drawings immediately or add the updates to a task list. I always process immediately to be sure the other drawings are immediately updated.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost