AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
605 Views, 16 Replies

FUSES

Why, by default, can we not put a description on a fuse in the schematic? cds
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If a symbol has no DESC1-3 attributes then the description edit boxes will be dimmed. If you want to put descriptions on fuse symbols, open up the fuse library symbols in AcadE and add in the DESC1, DESC2, and DESC3 attribute definitions. File names are HFU*.dwg and VFU*.dwg in whatever library folder you're using (ex: "c:\program files\autodesk\acade 2005\libs\jic1\"). "Carl Smith" wrote in message news:4135cc21$1_3@newsprd01... > Why, by default, can we not put a description on a fuse in the schematic? > > cds > >
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Yep, but understanding that, I just wonder why they are not there to begin with? cds "Nate Holt (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:41360461$1_2@newsprd01... > If a symbol has no DESC1-3 attributes then the description edit boxes will > be dimmed. If you want to put descriptions on fuse symbols, open up the fuse > library symbols in AcadE and add in the DESC1, DESC2, and DESC3 attribute > definitions. File names are HFU*.dwg and VFU*.dwg in whatever library folder > you're using (ex: "c:\program files\autodesk\acade 2005\libs\jic1\"). > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message > news:4135cc21$1_3@newsprd01... > > Why, by default, can we not put a description on a fuse in the schematic? > > > > cds > > > > > >
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

I don't have a good answer why these DESC* attributes aren't there on a fuse symbol. As far as I know, it's never come up before... but there's no reason why this type of symbol couldn't/shouldn't have these attributes...we'll log this issue and see about getting them added in.
Message 5 of 17
Justin2012

I am having the same issue with fuse description dimmed or cannot be access. Is this fixed or how can I fix this?

Message 6 of 17
testsubject
in reply to: Justin2012

Hmmm.

Justin, what version of ACE are you using? Some of the earlier versions did not have the description attributes in them but I just checked in 2013 and it was available. Could you be accessing an older library??

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 17
Icemanau
in reply to: testsubject

The fuses in the 2008 version have the description attributes already. It may only be a specific library that is affected as I use the AS2 library and havn't checked the other libraries.

I have had to add the DESC attributes to the blocks for some of the terminals, to get descriptions or comments linked to the terminals.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 8 of 17
Justin2012
in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

I have a 2011 version and it doesn't have it.

Thanks

Message 9 of 17
testsubject

Like Brad mentioned, which specific library are you using? (JIC, IEC, etc)

I can check my copy and see if it matches.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 10 of 17
Justin2012

JIC

Message 11 of 17
testsubject

I am not sure what to tell you. I just checked both 2013 and 2009 (HFU1.dwg, VFU1.dwg) and they both have DESC1, DESC2, DESC3 attributes in them.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 12 of 17

The fuse with TAG symbols have DESC1 and DESC2, but the font size is small.  This is easily corrected by modifying the Properties of the HFU1 and VFU1 blocks.  The fuses in the NFPA library, new for release 2013, has all three description attributes included at a text height of 0.125 by default.  They are located at the lower right of the symbol, leaving room for the dashed link line that connects the blocks for a 3-pole fuse.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 13 of 17

I have ACE 2011 installed and my DESC are all dimmed. I don't know what might be the issue ythe here.

Message 14 of 17
dougmcalexander

I have every version and the DESC1 and DESC2 attributes are available but small. Are you sure you are using HFU1 or VFU1 from JIC1 or JIC125?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 15 of 17

Yes I am. If you refer to the WDDEMO project that came with the software all the fuses on drawing 0202 has no description attributes either. Please let me know if I ma missing anything?

Thanks you.

Message 16 of 17
testsubject

I just checked and he is right about the WDDEMO files not having descriptions on the fuse symbols (2013). If I remember correctly, I had to add the Description values to the fuses way back in Toolbox W/D days. This project (WDDEMO) has been around for a very long time with no changes so it could have remnants from the "Good Ol' Days"...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 17 of 17

The WDDEMO project is very old and there are many oddities.  Some of the symbols used in that project have been updated over time.  That project dates back to the mid 90s when the software was in its infancy.  I have encouraged Autodesk to include new and up-to-date demo projects but they have not seen fit to do so yet.  I don't advise using that project as a literal template.  If you were to insert a fuse into drawing demo02.dwg you would get the fuse without description attributes because Electrical is using the same rule as AutoCAD. It copies the fuse symbol that is already in the drawing.  The software will not use a fresh symbol from the library if it finds a block by the same name on the drawing already.  This is a method devised by Autodesk in the 1980s to make the software more efficient.  Note that even if you delete the existing fuses and try reinserting new ones, you will still get the old version.  The software keeps deleted blocks hidden in the drawing, in case you need to bring them back.  You must purge the drawing of unused blocks in order to force the software to use fresh symbols from the library folder.  The best way to fix WDDEMO is to replace the fuse symbols using Update Block.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost