AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

footprint database

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
A2u1t5o9desk
460 Views, 8 Replies

footprint database

Just wondering, what is the typical practice for when you want to insert a footprint, but the part number doesn't exist in the fully updated manufacturer footprint table? For example, I have an Eaton HT8GDRBF3 push button, but no entry in the table. Should I just create one, or steal an almost identical button image from another entry?
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Use the Footprint Database File Editor to add a new entry for inserting from the Schematic List.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9

So, then this means the dwg file for the footrprint needs to be created and placed in the Eaton footprint folder?
Message 4 of 9

Or, is it maybe possible that this should be found in the folder for Eaton, and it's a matter of updating the manufacturer drawings?
Message 5 of 9

Some footprints are included but they are usually very simple ones passed along from the manufacturers. Many of us create our own. You can place them in a custom footprints folder or put them into the folder named for the manufacturer. When you add the entry to the Footprint Lookup database, you can set the path.

Hint: You do not need the complete path. The software knows where the panel folder is. Just enter the subfolder(s) below panel, followed by the block name.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 9
drathak
in reply to: A2u1t5o9desk

@A2u1t5o9desk wrote:
So, then this means the dwg file for the footrprint needs to be created and placed in the Eaton footprint folder?

Generally speaking, this is the answer.  For anything we've needed that wasn't provided (most of our stuff isn't) we just used the blocks we had before ACADE or grabbed something from the Mfr. if possible and went from there. (Added needed attributes, etc.)

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 7 of 9
A2u1t5o9desk
in reply to: drathak

Thanks.  Most how-to seems to involve dropping in a button and nameplate, both of which conveniently already have footprints in the database.  But a lot of manufacturers provide no footprints for autocad, they just have side and profile cad drawings on their websites.  I guess you have to clip out the parts of the drawing you want and add attributes to them to create footprint drawings.  For a cabinet with a hundred components that aren't all from AB, this will take awhile.

Message 8 of 9

If you have existing footprints that you already use, AutoCAD Electrical will automatically add necessary attributes when you insert the footprint from the schematic list.  You only need to edit the Footprint Lookup Database and map the part number to your preferred block.

The attributes insert at the basepoint of the block, but you can reposition them if necessary.  I use the Move/Show Attribute tool for this because I can move multiple attributes from multiple blocks at once.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: dougmcalexander

After inserting a standard block and having ACADE add all the necessary attributes, you can export the block and overwrite the original using the WBLOCK command.

Just type wblock, select Block as the source.

Click the Select Obejects button and select the block you want to export.

Pick or set the basepoint and then set the filename before saving it.

One block with attributes saved to your hard drive.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost