AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Error when Saving / Opening / Recovering in AutoCAD Electrical 2010.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BenMc12345
592 Views, 5 Replies

Fatal Error when Saving / Opening / Recovering in AutoCAD Electrical 2010.

I have AutoCAD Electrical 2010 installed, licensed and updated with the latest updates on my Windows 7 machine in my office.

My problem is I am getting a Fatal Error randomly - but very frequently whilst working. It's causing me huge issues as i'm losing work and files that I have open when this happens are becoming corrupted. This is becoming a serious issue.

I've had a search on the knowledge base and triple-checked my software is updated but nothing seems to help.

Can anybody help me or point me in the direction of a fix?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnq
in reply to: BenMc12345

G'day Ben

I have complete empathy with your concern.

I have experienced this problem with ACE2007,2010 & 2012.

When it happens on 2012 at shutdown tick the box to save for recovery.  You should not loose data, I have not so far.

With the other versions, my practice has been to save before swapping from one drawing to another.  Tedious but saves data.

With WIN7 there is a resource monitor in the TASK Manager.  Use this to see how your memory use is going.

Get to know what it looks like after ACE has been loaded but before you do drawings.

When the dark blue bare get too big ACE mucks up like you have experienced.

AT this point I shut down the PC , switch off the power and restart.

ACE does not seem to clean up as it goes.   The technical term is "release memory."

I have 8GB of memory.  My machine does not have a supported Video card but a NAVIDA chip set.

I may never know if this is the problem.

Not much help for a solution but a point of view from an 18 month user.

Cheers  jq

Message 3 of 6
Icemanau

You didn't mention if the OS and ACADE are 32 bit or 64 bit. Are you running the correct version for the OS?

Did you install the correct version of the update. Please check this as there could be different updates for the 32 and 64 bit programs.

I've had a similar problem when opening dwgs that were created or modified in Solidworks. In theory, it is supposed to be 100% compatible but in practice it's a different story.

The way we got around it was for Solidworks to export the drawing as a DXF which I then imported into ACADE.

Are you 100% sure the dwgs have not been created or saved in any way in solidworks?

Another problem could be a faulty HDD or just bad sectors where the program resides. Get your IT to run chkdsk over the drive. Also get them to check the memory and video card as they can cause some weird problems.

(I had one that was throwing up a audio fault instead of a video fault as it was failing...)

Have you tried to repair the install of ACADE. If all else fails, you may have to do a complete re-install. If you go the re-install route, try downloading the updates again just in case the downloads you have are corrupt.

Hope these suggestions are of some help...

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 4 of 6
johnq
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Brad

Informative as usual.

How can it be determined that there is some Solid works componants in a drawing?

I do not think this is a concern to me as allmy drawings are new, I would just like to know.

Cheers  jq

Message 5 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: johnq

There isn't any easy way to check for a Solidworks component to the dwg. It could be a single line of text or even just opend to view and left to autosave.

As far as I can tell, it's the fact that it was saved in Solidworks that can cause the problem. I've created a dwg, and then had the Mechanical Engineer open it in Solidworks and then save it (or autosave). This simple action caused my ACADE to crash on each and every dwg opened in Solidworks when I tried to make any modifications.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 6 of 6
BenMc12345

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

We are running 32-bit here.

These drawings have been built from scratch in AutoCAD Electrical 2010, so won't contain any components from any other drawing package.

When Acad crashes there is no option to recover, it just says Fatal Error and dies. I'll try and take a screendump of what it looks like when it happens again.

I'd rather not have to re-install as that will require gett9ng I.T. involved, but a repair I can try over my lunch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost