AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family codes and tag names

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1569 Views, 2 Replies

Family codes and tag names

I would like to know how we get from selecting a component to finally having a tag name attached to it.

A little background:

There are some component families for which we really want to break the tag names down on a finer basis, perhaps two or three different tags for any particular family.  The wd_family.dat file allows us to map only one tag designation per family.

We found that we can create new tables (families) and that they can be queried when looking up a component Good

We found that we can get this table to open up when our symbols are appropriately named Good

We notice that the tag name seems to be generated when making the initial pick from the icon menus and does not change based on selecting a new family from the database  Not so good

Right now, I am getting a tag on a custom component for which both the 2nd and 3rd characters in the file name, as well as the default family code attribute point to the new family table. Bad

What should I be looking for?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure if I'm completely understanding the question but I'll give it a shot.

In your custom symbols whatever you put as the default value for the "TAG" attribute is what will appear as your tag number. Ex. for fuses the default value is set to "FU" therefor when you insert a fuse, ACE will make the tag number FU1, FU2, etc.

You also have to set a default value for the "FAMILY" because this default value determines what catalog ACE looks for. This value should be whatever the 2nd and 3rd characters are in your symbol name (usually the same as the TAG but it doesn't have to be).

Message 3 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

Just to clarify, the FAMILY attribute is not what determines which table is queried during Lookup. The second and third characters of the block name dictate this. The FAMILY attribute is used to warn if you try to create a parent-child relationship between dissimilar devices. For example trying to pair a normally-open relay contact with a motor starter coil. Think of it as DFACS for Electrical; the Department of Family and Children Services.

If you want to control which table the Lookup queries and overrule the filename method, add an attribute to the symbol block named WDBLKNAM and set its value to the table name you prefer.

Hint: You can add new tables to the catalog database under the Project Other Tools panel.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost