AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with cable markers

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
935 Views, 5 Replies

Error with cable markers

I have been using the fan-in/ out commands for our 3 wire cable we use quite often.  When I added a cable marker to the wire connecting the two, then copied the component, I looked down at my command line and saw

"Error: Failed to get project database."  Any ideas what this means?  Each copy I recieved that error 14 times

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi april_herr,

Thanks for your post!

Try to check your Project Database Service, does it have errors ? Or try to rebuild/freshen your current project database via menu Projects > Project > Rebuild/Freshen Project Database (set variable menubar =1, then call it from menu).

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi! Thanks for responding!

I have l looked all over for either of the commands you mentioned, but I'm not seeing them.  I'm relatively new to this Electrical.  I'm using 2012, I go to the Project tab on my ribbon and i see Update/Retag, but just not seeing them.

Message 4 of 6
dougmcalexander

Autodesk removed the command from the ribbon menu, starting with version 2010, much to my dismay.  I use this as an excuse to teach the CUI editor during my admin-level training course.  We add Rebuild/Freshen to the ribbon and we also add the original Symbol Builder to the ribbon.

For now you can type AEREBUILDDB at the command prompt and press enter to engage Rebuild/Freshen.  I suggest to perform a Full Rebuild.  Hint: If you exit AutoCAD Electrical and delete the project's scratch database from your User subfolder, Electrical will create a fresh new database from scratch, using the latest drawing data.  This is even cleaner than Rebuild/Freshen.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thank you! I will do this.  When I look into my folder, I'm not sure what the scratch file is?  I see my dwgs, bak, and my wdp file.  What is the scratch file?

Message 6 of 6
dougmcalexander

The project scratch databases reside in the USER subfolder.  They are named the same as the project name but their file extension is .mdb. Every project you have ever touched will have one.  It is okay to delete them.  That is the advantage of Electrical being a drawing-driven solution, rather than database-driven.  The project database is only a reflection of the drawings, used to expedite internal processes - it does not create the drawings.  The drawing data is written to the project's scratch database.  I delete all project databases periodically, especially after I have released a design.  But I also delete them from time to time while working on a design, just to clean up any possible corruption.  Note: Exit AutoCAD Electrical before attempting to delete the project scratch database for an active project.

The path to the USER folder varies according to user name.  Mine is:C:\Users\Doug McAlexander\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2012\R18.2\enu\Support\User

For Windows XP, the path will start at Documents and Settings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost