AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Surfer Not Working

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
ruelbn
2139 Views, 15 Replies

Electrical Surfer Not Working

Why does my AutoCAD 2013 Electrical Surfer not work but my coworkers does?  We work on the same project but why does mine not work?  It worked for me before and now it gives me an error about the Project Database file.  I am fairly new to AutoCAD.  I enjoyed using the Surfing tool but now it doesn't work.  Can someone please help.

RBN

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: ruelbn

Can you post the exact text of the alert or an image? At what point do you get the error? When you start the command it asks you to either select an object or press enter to type a value. Do you get this far? If so, do you select an object?

Anyway, the more detail you provide the better. This information might help pinpoint what is causing this.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 16
Icemanau

Are you both working on the exact same project at the same time?

If so, this is not a good idea as ACADE has not been set up for that and if you change something on a dwg that affects the dwg your co-worker is working on, it will not update that change. Then there is the situation where you make a change and then he makes a change that negates your change.

I would suggest that if you need two or more people to work on a multi panel board, that each person works only on one panel and have each panel in a mini project on their own.

Besides the problems with changes not propagating through open dwgs and such, If the scratch database is being utilised by one person, it may lock out the second person.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
ruelbn
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Thanks guys.  Brad we are not working on the project at the same time. Pat the images are attached.  It's not an error but it gets stuck on "reading project database file...." after I type it or select the Component Tag.  I wait and nothing seems to happen but if my coworker does it on his computer,  the surfing tool will find the components tags instantaneously.  Mine stopped working from one day to the next.  I eventually stop the search and do it manually.  Why would it work on one computer and not the other? 

RBNCapture1.JPG

Message 5 of 16
PatMurnen_Adsk

Since I can't reproduce this it is hard to know what might cause this. Are you using dual monitors? I have seen cases where dialogs came up but were not visible on either monitor and the user thought it was locked but the invisible dialog was just waiting for the user. To see if the dialog is just hiding off the screen somewhere you can press Alt+spacebar and then M and then an arrow key. Then move your mouse around to see if the dialog is attached to it to move.

If that doesn't do it, try this following (uppercase means type at the command line)

1. LOGFILEON

2. AEONLISPDEBUG

3. run the surf command as you normally would, esc out if that is what you do to get out of it.

4. AEOFFLISPDEBUG

5. LOGFILEOFF

6. LOGFILENAME

Post the log file here that is listed on the command line after step #6. I can look at it and hopefully it will provide some clues.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 16
ruelbn

[ AutoCAD - Wed Nov 12 13:17:59 2014  ]----------------------------------------

Command: AEONLISPDEBUG
 Command trace ON

Command:
Command:
Command:
Command:  
AutoCAD Electrical Surfer

IN:wd_mdb_create_ifreqd
OUT:wd_mdb_create_ifreqd
IN:wd_surf_picknew
Select tag for "Surfer" trace (or <Enter> to type it):
IN:wd_surf_drill_deeper
OUT:wd_surf_drill_deeper
IN:wd_sed_is_it_schem_or_pnl
IN:wd_sed_get_comp_attr
 IN/OUT:wd_4_selsort
OUT:wd_sed_get_comp_attr
OUT:wd_sed_is_it_schem_or_pnl=5
IN:wd_surf_getrefs
IN:wd_surfa_getcmprefs
 reading project database file . . .
OUT:wd_surfa_getcmprefs
IN:wd_surf_writeout
OUT:wd_surf_writeout
IN:wd_surf_write_lastsurf_tmpfile
 wd_1a_gn_getenv WD_LASTSURF=nil
OUT:wd_surf_write_lastsurf_tmpfile
IN:wd_surf_dsplst
OUT:wd_surf_dsplst
IN:wd_surf_pickdlg
OUT:wd_surf_pickdlg
OUT:wd_surf_getrefs
OUT:wd_surf_picknew

Command:
Command: AEOFFLISPDEBUG
 Command trace OFF

Command:
Command: LOGFILEOFF

Message 7 of 16
ruelbn

The Alt+Spacebar and then M did not work so I attached the log file.
Message 8 of 16
PatMurnen_Adsk

I am afraid that wasn't much help as it looks exactly like mine which works fine. You selected on a child component it looks like and it appears that the dialog came up by the log file. When you tried the Alt+Spacebar then M did you press an arrow key after that? The reason I thought this might be the problem is because this is one of the few dialogs that "remembers" its location even after existing and restarting AutoCAD Electrical. So if you ever had a dual monitor or your screen resolution changed it could be off-screen.

Do you have all available service packs installed? It looks like service pack 2 for 2013 had a fix for this off-screen issue. 

The only other idea I had was to try a Repair on the install. If none of this works I will have to see if anyone else here has any ideas.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 16
ruelbn

IT WORKS!!!!  FINALLY I SEE THE RESULT WINDOW.  THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME. 

It has been driving be crazy for a couple of weeks.  I did the Alt+Spacebar then M and Arrows  and I finally see it. 

Thanks Again

RBN

Message 10 of 16
PatMurnen_Adsk

Thank goodness because I was out of ideas!

I would suggest installing service pack 2 since there is a fix in there for this among other fixes. You can find it at

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-electrical/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-el...

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 16
mhamad_salih

Hi, I am having the exact same issue.

What I have attempted:

- ALT+Space BAR, followed by letter "m" then either a right or left arrow key. - nothing happens.

- Disconnecting the second monitor, currently only using 1 monitor

- I'm using surfer with the AEGS tutorial file, so the links are not broken

- Log file created, pasted below the following images

Program I am using:

I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2012, it is up to date since the service pack 1 update confirms it when I tried to apply it.

Process, and error I am recieving.

ae_issue3.png

ae_issue1.png

ae_issue2.png

Log file:

Command: AEONLISPDEBUG
 Command trace ON

Command:
Command: AESURF

AutoCAD Electrical Surfer

IN:wd_surf_picknew
Select tag for "Surfer" trace (or <Enter> to type it):
IN:wd_surf_drill_deeper
OUT:wd_surf_drill_deeper
IN:wd_sed_is_it_schem_or_pnl
IN:wd_sed_get_comp_attr
OUT:wd_sed_get_comp_attr
OUT:wd_sed_is_it_schem_or_pnl=4
IN:wd_surf_getrefs
IN:wd_surfa_getcmprefs
OUT:wd_surfa_getcmprefs
IN:wd_surf_dsplst
OUT:wd_surf_dsplst
IN:wd_surf_pickdlg
IN:wd_surf_script
OUT:wd_surf_script
OUT:wd_surf_pickdlg
IN/OUT:ace_store_gbl_values
OUT:wd_surf_getrefs
OUT:wd_surf_picknew

Command: AEOFFLISPDEBUG
 Command trace OFF

Command:
Command: LOGFILEOFF

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Message 12 of 16

The Alt+Space bar had to do with the dialog box being off screen. That doesn't appear to be your issue since the screen capture you posted shows the dialog.

I am not an expert on the errors that are shown in the Project Database Service so may need to do a little digging. But, the one you are getting seems to indicate a serious problem with the product in general, not just the surfer. Do other commands that reference the project work, like reports or wire numbering or retagging?

Has this ever worked for you and it stopped working? I am wondering if there is something wrong with the your installso am looking for a little more background before I suggest any solutions. What version of Windows are you on?

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 16

I'm using a 64bit Window 7.

This is the first time I've used the surfer feature. 

For other features such as retagging, wire numbering and report generation, there are no issues.

The surfer feature works with parent child references locally (within the same drawing) but fails across other drawings in the same project.

Message 14 of 16
mhamad_salih
in reply to: mhamad_salih

I was able to solve the issue.

AE surfer only works with Single Drawing Interface, this can be enabled by typing "SDI" in the command line, followed by a "1". Restart AE and it should work.

Message 15 of 16
controlsgirl
in reply to: mhamad_salih

I know this is an old post but for anyone who may be using an older version having the same problem. I am using 2012 and am now running into this issue. When I try to use surfer by right clicking on a component and selecting surfer, ACE gets hung up and freezes with at the same point as the other user. NOTE: I have been using surfer and it has been working fine. However, I have done two things. I installed the dictionaries (I unchecked it when I originally installed the software and I finally got sick of getting the message that the dictionary was missing every time I edited text.) I also installed the new Design Review. I have ACE 2012 installed. I just tried a repair and it did not fix the issue. I guess I will have to try reinstalling...

Message 16 of 16

Hi controlsgirl,

It looks like there were a number of different issues in this post. One issue was a dual monitor situation where the dialog was there just unseen. Another issue was related to the SDI system variable. I assume neither of those fixes applied to your situation?

One thing you can do is turn on an AutoCAD Electrical debugger and the AutoCAD log file, create the log and post it here. There might be clues on what is happening. To do this follow these steps (uppercase means type in in the command line of AutoCAD Electrical).

1. AEONLISPDEBUG

2. LOGFILEON

3. do the steps to reproduce the problem

4. LOGFILEOFF

5. AEOFFLISPDEBUG

6. LOGFILENAME

Then upload the log file indicated in step 6.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost