AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Parametric PLC IO

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
djnelson19
966 Views, 5 Replies

Editing Parametric PLC IO

Trying to learn about Creating Parametric PLC IO Modules.Is the "edit terminal option" the only way to assigned terminal information on the PLC module when creating it? How do you move the attridutes to the desired location if it is not a choice in the edit area? DJN

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lionSG
in reply to: djnelson19

If you already tried PLC database editor tool in ACE, another method is to use the Spreadsheet to PLC I/O utility which you can find in Import/Export data tab.

Maybe you can work on that to see if that can helps you.

Message 3 of 6

The parametric PLC modules are built dynamically from any of up to 200 blocks from the symbol library folder; 40 blocks for each of the 5 PLC style options you select in Drawing Properties.  You can edit the attribute location in these blocks to make a permanent change to the text/attribute locations. For a one time change, you could use the Move/Show attribute tool to move any number of attributes all at once.  This tool works like AutoCAD Move after you select the attributes you wish to move.

Assigning or changing the terminal values is as easy as selecting the row that corresponds to the I/O point you wish to edit and typing in the value you desire for TERM_ and TERMDESC_.  (See attached)

Hint: Creating a new PLC module can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is a breeze.  One of the most difficult concepts for newcomers to grasp relates to the "Show" column.  You make choices in the Show column to allow the user the option to display any unused terminals or not.  In my advanced course we create a new PLC from scratch, and it includes 4 unused screws at the top of the module.  So we set those to a type of "Terminal Point Wire Left" and select "when showing unused" in the Show column.  In case the top terminal is an unused terminal you must choose two options, one that shows module information with only a terminal point (when including unused) and one that shows module information with an actual I/O point (when excluding unused).

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 6

Thanks you for the information so far. Once you get the new module with the points needed in PLC Database File Edit do you chose Done or Done/Insert. Does "Done just add it to the PLC list? Done/Insert put it on a border?
The Command Move/ Show attribute tool I'm assuming is used after you created the module using PLC Database File Editor. So how do you get your changes to be saved back to the module, (not sure where the module is being stored) so that when you go to the PLC Parametric Selection Tool you get the updated module with your changes.

Thank for the help,

djnelson19
Message 5 of 6

Clicking Done saves the new PLC in the list without inserting it.  Clicking Done/Insert saves it and allows you to insert it at the same time.  

The Move/Show Attribute command allows you to move attributes in blocks that are already inserted.  To permanently relocate attributes you will want to edit the 200 blocks that are located in the library folder you pick symbols from.  To save time, you could just edit the 40 symbols for the PLC style you use (i.e. style 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 as defined in your Drawing Settings).  The files begin with HP1, HP2, HP3, HP4, HP5, VP1, VP2, VP3, VP4, VP5.  The numbers represent the PLC style, so there will be 40 for each style.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 6
electricman1
in reply to: djnelson19

The PLC Editor saves the PLC configurations in the "ACE_PLC.MDB" database file. This file and path will be displayed in the upper left hand section of the PLC Editor and Selector.

As for the location of block files you will need to edit, check the paths in the following (ACADE 2012):

Project Manager -> Right-Mouse Click a Project -> Select Properties -> Project Settings Tab -> Expand Schematic Libraries

Backup these files after making edits and save for future. Also, always a good idea to make a backup of the original files before editiing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost