AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Cable from/to list

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
673 Views, 8 Replies

Editing Cable from/to list

Hello everyone!

I´m a student currently on an internship and recently finished a project.

It was my first project created in Autocad Electrical and I would like to have som tips for getting things right in the first place.

When generating a "Cable From/to"-list, the location seems to be listed at random.

For example, cable parts marked 1 and 2 is listed at "CAB1" while 3 and 4 is listed at VFD1 as LOC1.

Why isn´t all the cables listed in the same location?

Swapping is possible, but for 200 entries that´s really not an option.

Second question is related. I know it´s possible to export the generated tables from AutoCAD to excel, but is it possbile to import them back in?

Since my cable list is full with flaws, editing everything in excel and generate new drawings would save me a lot of time.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

If you assigned Location Codes to your components, you can set the Location Code as part of the Sort priority.  Once your report is generated, and appears onscreen, click the Sort button in the Report Generator dialog and you can set the preferred sort preferences (see attached screen capture).  When creating Automatic Reports you can save the Sort preferences into the .set file so future reports created from that specific format file will default to your preferred sort.  We cover Automatic Reports on day 5 of my admin-level training.

You can only export to Excel, not import.  Excel has no jurisdiction to change your design except via the Export/Import menu tab, where you can export all project attribute values to Excel, make changes, and write those changes back to the component attributes.  Report data is extracted from the drawings (design) via the project scratch database and you can output the report in various formats, but this is simply a data dump, nothing more.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, but I think the problem is beyond sorting. I´ll attach a picture,

As you see, for some reason the locations are mixed on the same cable.

My guess is that the locations already is assigned somehow, do you know how AE determined LOC1 and LOC2?

Is there any way to change this?

Message 4 of 9
jared.bunch

Hi mattias_WSP

From what I see in the picture, the location codes you are referring to are coming from the connected components.  So "LOC1" mathces up with "CMP1" and "LOC2" with "CMP2"...helping you to easily sync up what location code information belongs to which connected component.  If the information is incorrect, you will want to go to the components and update the location codes accordingly (you can use the surfer tool to do this quickly and easily).

I hope this helps!

Jared Bunch
Principal Experience Designer
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Mattias,

I believe I understand your problem as I am having the same one. I noticed that in your pic that "QB5" shows up as both a CMP1 and a CMP2. This makes sorting not really a solution and, your data is correct. Also, just like you said, you definetly do not want to have to use the "SWAP" command every time to print out this report.

I have not been able to solve this using ACADE. I had to write a macro in excel that I would run after I exported the report. I have a very looking different set of data, but the same issues as you.

Message 6 of 9
jiasheen

Sorry to revive this thread but has there been a fix/workaround for this? Without manually swapping.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
rhesusminus
in reply to: jiasheen

The "connection order problem" was improved a LOT in AcadE 2016.

Set this setting correct, and the from/to reports should look much better:

2017-01-16_14-24-31.png

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 9
jiasheen
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thanks Trond. I'm still on AcadE 2015 and unfortunately that option didn't really help much. Would try to get my hands on 2016 and see how it goes. Would report back!

Message 9 of 9
rhesusminus
in reply to: jiasheen

If you're on subscription, go for 2017 while you're at it.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost