AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic blocks and automation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
iokua1
617 Views, 1 Reply

Dynamic blocks and automation

So, im looking for any ideas on how to automate part of my day to day process of design. Im a bit of a beginer as im still figuring out all the uses of features like DATAEXTRACTION and dynamic blocks. these are just the two features i assume might be able to help me accomplish this automation, but if anyone knows other meathods i havent considered, please let me know, i may be a bit too narrow-minded to realize theres another way of doing this.

My basic design process

I use a device in a drawing as a block, say, a smoke detector. this detector has a few attributes like room location, model number, etc. this way i use DATAEXTRACTION to create a device list on my layout. 

after the drawing is complete for each device used, i have to print pdfs of the data sheets for said devices. usually about a dozen or so total sheets, but sometimes more.

How i want to automate

I can either pull these pdfs from an html link, or have them predownloaded on my machine. 

Im looking for a way to possably attach a pdf to a block in autocad. the idea is to be able to extract the specific devices used and their individual pdfs and either have a list to quickly click the links and download the files, or more prefferably atuomatically group the files together to print.

If anyone understands the basic idea of what i need to accomplish here, i'm open to any ideas or meathods to accomplish this.

thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Icemanau
in reply to: iokua1

You can use the report function to print out data from the devices without having to go through all the DATAEXTRACTION process.

First, you will need to edit the block. Add the required number of wire connection points in the required orientation. Change the Room Number, Location and such attributes to USER1, USER2 and so on. The model number change to CAT and add the MFG attribute. Also add the DESC1, DESC2, DESC3, LOC and INST attributes. These are the standard Electrical attributes.

Now use the Insert Component tool to add the block to your dwg or the update tool if you have existing blocks of that type. If you added a block, this will bring up a dialog box which will allow you to fill in these attributes otherwise right click on a existing block and select edit to bring up the dialog box.

Some attributes will be hidden under the Miscellanous button.

The CAT and MFG can be used to look up a database and select the components from that. You may need to create a table for Smoke detectors and add the appropriate information but only the first time you use each particular model/brand.

INST and LOC can be used to show room and location. USER1, USER2 and so on can be used for any other required data. The DESC attributes show on the dwg and can be used to show a small description.

Now go to the Project Tab and click on Reports. Run Schematic COMPONENT Report and select the dwgs to run the report from. Once the report comes up, you can modify the report to show extra items (like the INST, LOC, USER and other attributes).

The report can then be exported to an external file or even placed on a dwg.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost