AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
teddy1970
8717 Views, 4 Replies

dwl file

Please.How Can I activated the dwl file and change the description of title block?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: teddy1970

Activate?

Message 3 of 5
Icemanau

DWL is the file extension used by Autocad to LOCK the file. This stops two people from editing the same file at the same time. The dwl file will normally be removed when the file is closed from the editing session but can remain behind if the computer shuts down suddenly like in a power failure.

To rename a dwg if it is in a project, first make sure it is not open and then right click on the file name in the project manager. Select Rename and type in the new name. Make sure that you do NOT change or remove the file extension (usually DWG).

If the file is not part of a project, follow the same steps as above but in Windows Explorer or My Computer instead of the Project Manager.

If you mant to rename the Project itself, make sure it is CLOSED, then go to the project file location (<PROJECT NAME>.WDP).

Select the file and follow the steps as above, making sure the extension stays WDP. Open a existing project from the project manager and select the file and you are done.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander

Are you perhaps referring to the optional projectname_wdtitle.wdl file?  This file, if present, alters the project description line label prompts that you see when you right-click on a project and select Descriptions.  By default, the project description line label prompts read as LINE1, LINE2, LINE3, etc. You set this projectname_wdtitle.WDL file up  so it masks the LINE1, LINE2, LINE3, etc., and replaces it with your preferred prompts.  Then, when you right-click the project name and select Descriptions, you are prompted with your alternate prompts, so you fill in the appropriate information for the title block update.  Note: This assumes that you have used the Title Block Setup wizard and set up the title block mapping.  I have an 11-step guide that address this.  Go to www.ecadconsultant.com and click on the Tips/Tricks page

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
jalneal

A long time ago I used to disdain the fact that these files remained if autocad crashed, and opening would require manually deleting them.  However, now that we are using cloud storage in our office that is synced locally, it would be REALLY awesome if we could set a system variable that would determine whether or not to overwrite or notify if the dwl files existed, since cloud syncing does not change read-only status of a file.  Any chance this can be done?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost