AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Active Contributor
cpetzol2
Message 1 of 1 (323 Views)

DWG diff/patch?

323 Views, 0 Replies
07-07-2010 09:44 AM

I have found myself wanting some sort of "binary" comparison tool that works on a pair of DWGs. Performing an actual diff on the .dwg is garbage (dwg uses compression? encryption?). Trivial changes to a DWG yield massive diffs.

Im looking for a way to take a template dwg, and then patch it with various changesets. I have a feeling that this is only practical if done inside of autocad, and IF NOT directly performed on the dwg database. Wondering if anyone has seen, heard, developed any related efforts?

We do projects where the same design will be used across 3-6 production lines. Each individual line has nearly identical prints as all the others, but there are subtleties unique to each line. I start the base AcadE project, and then clone the project X times, one for each line. But when there are changes made to the base prints, each line must then be updated by hand. Maybe I should have waited a little longer before I branched each of the lines separately, but you can't always know these things, and even small changes add up when they must be manually repeated for each set of prints.

Exporting/Importing the project database with desired changes only goes so far. Edits will not add components, shift entire circuits to make room for new rungs, or help with cleaning up drawings (after auditing). I tried working with the mark/verify tools, but there is no structured way to then modify the "changeset" and re-apply with different parameters.

I feel like this might be right in line with the UNDO/REDO functions of autocad, but how to extract/inject atomic transactions?

Any other usage procedures that you use to achieve similar ends?

Thanks,

CP

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.