AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb Wire Numbers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chris30
442 Views, 6 Replies

Dumb Wire Numbers

I have a set of drawings where the same compnents and wires are used on two sheets. Is there a way to show the same wire numbers on two different sheets in the same project?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Icemanau
in reply to: chris30

I've been asking for this feature since ACADE 2008 was released, so don't hold your breath.

The only way I've gotten around it is to ignore the alerts about duplicate wire numbers or even turn off the real time checking altogether.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 7
chris30
in reply to: Icemanau

I had run several different searches on the group here, and came up empty.  I was hoping I just missed something.  Unfortumately, turning off "error" checking is not an option. 

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Chris

Message 4 of 7
johnq
in reply to: chris30

Hi Brad, Chris and others

I almost have the same problem and I received help from this forum.

My wire numbers do not reflect the sheet number but are the same on both drawings as the circuits are the same.

I can see how having wire numbers reflect sheet numbers could cause a problem.  Not sure.

My need is that For some projects I need to have say two CB1 circuit breakers, one on each sheet.

My solution was to draw the first drawing with out a sheet number.

Create a second drawing from the first.  Two different drawng numbers.

Add them to the project and set the sheet number appropreately.  say 6 & 7.

When I do the bill of manerials my list shows CB1 on sheet  say page 6   & CB1 on page say 7.

This solved my problem and may be it might jog a solution for you.

John Quigley

Message 5 of 7
Icemanau
in reply to: johnq

If you format the INST and LOC codes into the tag of a component, you can get around the problems there. You can even supress the inst and loc codes in the tag so that they don't show up

This option is not available for wire numbers. which is the problem the OP was asking about.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 6 of 7
chris30
in reply to: Icemanau

Somehow, Acad E needs to be able to recognize that a.) the same components/wires are being displayed on two different drawings in the same project and b.) label them accordingly.

Message 7 of 7
dougmcalexander
in reply to: johnq

Try adding an attribute named WDTYPE and enter a value of DUPL for duplicate.   This ability to interpret this attribute was added with version 2010.  It is intended for tying 1-line symbols to their 3-line equivalent. The value for a 1-line symbol is 1- but you can make up your own value.  This should allow you to assign the same tag to two separate symbols.

Hint: You can use the add attribute command to add the WDTYPE attribute to any previously inserted symbols.  Edit the symbols and permanently add the attribute for future insertions.  Be sure to set it to invisible.

Wire Numbers were born in the USA and are used one of two ways. They either indicate an electrical node (all wires with same number are on same node) or they are actually a numerical assignment for each physical wire.  The software allows us to set a project for either type of wire tagging.  AcadE tries to prevent duplication in order to prevent confusion.  You could employ a utility like Super Project Manager and subdivide your project, allowing for the same wire numbers to appear in more than one page, as long as the pages are in separate subprojects. Turn off real time error checking on the master project though.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost