AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing generation in excel?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mako68
748 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing generation in excel?

Hi,

You can export AutoCAD Electrical drawings to excel and modify attributes and update it back to the drawings...That's nice feature but I got a following request:
Is it possibe to generate NEW drawings or insert NEW blocks from spreadsheet to Electrical?
I know that PLC Utility tool can generate new PLC drawings and add them to the active project. Could we use this feature also with motor ciruits etc..?

Regards
Mako
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cawaugh
in reply to: mako68

We actually have a lisp routine that does this for us but what you could do is this:
Name the Motor Circuit something like plcio_some_motor_circuit.dwg.
The "plcio" is important in that the program see's this as a full PLC unit and inserts it.
Then add it into the spreadsheet like you would a plc module.
Once it is inserted, explode the block (as most motor circuits are nested blocks),
run the retag on the inserted components then run the wire numbering.
Our program inserts in this manner, see below:
(command "_.Explode" "last")
(c:wd_retag_update_noprompts 1 nil)
This works real well for us. Good luck.
Message 3 of 6
hanchris

While, I always applaud programming your own LISP code I think a better tool for motor circuits is the Circuit Builder. This is especially true if you have 2010, where they improved this tool immensely and even started to hook the NEC up to it.
Message 4 of 6
cawaugh

I do not recall or believe I have seen the circuit builder work with a spreadsheet to create multiple drawings like the PLC IO does. If you create a "PLCIO_" part it can be part of the autogenerate program. The circuit builder is really good but as I said, I do not remember an autogenerate using it across multiple drawings. If there is one, enlighten me becasue that would a great tool.
Message 5 of 6
mako68

Hi,

I'm not so familiar with lisp programming. Could you send me
more detailed information....?
Thanks!

Mako
Message 6 of 6
cawaugh

Under the Help tab open the "AutoCAD Help topics".
Open "AutoLisp, VisualLisp, and DXF".
Select "AutoLisp Tutorial".
This will give you a start.
There is also a Reference selection and a Developer's guide.
I picked up several book on AutoLisp along the way but they are pretty old.
You can Google AutoLisp and come up with a variety of books to review then purchase.
I use the local library as a starting point before I buy.
Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost