AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining a wire sequence with a T. point in series.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
iampegged
194 Views, 2 Replies

Defining a wire sequence with a T. point in series.

Due to the inability of my employer to update to wiring practices of this century, I am constrained to the same drawing style that we have used for the last 30 years. You know, the old "this is the way we have always done it" attitude. Please look at the attached drawing, the first rung you will see on wire # 778, there is a terminal point. When you view the wire sequence left of the terminal point you will
see that the components listed do not include A10A. When you view the wire sequence to the right of the terminal point you will see only the T. Block and A10A, no other components are available.
When I make a wire list, all components are shown on that wire, but you can't put them in the right order due to this constraint.
Is there something incorrectly set up in my program? Am I not correctly specifying something?
I am calling out for a non wire changing terminal point when I insert the component.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: iampegged

Defining a wire sequence is only necessary for wire networks. For example in your drawing there are two wires that form a network between CTB2, AI10, and RA10. The define wire sequence tool helps define the "daisy chain" to your desired connection order. The connection from CTB2 to A10A only consists of one wire so no sequence definition is necessary. I ran show wire sequence and you have the sequence set to go from CTB2 to AI10 and back to RA10. Is that not what you wanted?

Now bear in mind that those pesky node dots can screw you up sometimes as well. Why? Because they effectively look like a short until enough components are in the drawings to create separation. I don't use dots. If those rails are really buses made up of terminals, I replace the dots with terminal block symbols. I then create a layer called JumperBar and that is the connection between the terminals in the rail. Why? Well, ask yourself this: Is the vertical rail really a wire or a bus? If a bus, then I put it on a layer called JumperBar. The layer JumperBar will pass logic (current, wire number, etc.) but the program knows to ignore it from a wire list.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
iampegged
in reply to: iampegged

Previously, I attached a portion of the drawing I was working with in order to try to explain in a simpler manner. I have attached the entire drawing now. The smaller # of components on a line I don't have a problem with, it is when I have 10 or more that it becomes a challenge to coerce AutoCAD to cooperate. If you look at wire # 185 (right hand, blue rail, after rectifier), this is actually a daisy-chained wire running between five panels with a terminal block installed between panel 3 and 4. So the problem I have is that the terminal point is smack in the middle of the daisy chain of 38 components.
If I move the terminal point to a different point on the wire, or even insert a new one, I can no longer edit both sides of the terminal block simultaneously.
Without AutoCAD being able to recognize the fact that the terminal point is a "pass-through", I have to manually edit the wire list.
I have checked the help file and it states that when selecting a terminal from the "insert component":
The first column covers non-intelligent terminals.
The second column covers terminals that take on a terminal number that matches the wire number passing through or connected to the terminal.
The third column terminals carry a user defined terminal number.
The fourth column terminals will force an new wire number to generate as a wire passes through the terminal.

I have attempted to use the 2nd and 3rd columns with the same negative results.

Help Please!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost