AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default text height for location box

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rhesusminus
971 Views, 14 Replies

Default text height for location box

Hi.

Does anyone know what controls the default text height for new location boxes? In a project I'm working on now the dialog box for creating the location box suggests 5 for text height. I change it manually to 2.5 but this setting wont stick, so for the next location box we're back at 5 again 😞

Capture.PNG

I've had a look at the dimstyle settings and project/drawing properties without any luck.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
vladop
in reply to: rhesusminus

This dialog box is defined in file WDLOCBOX.DCL (on my computer in the folder C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\Acade\Support\en-US),

but height value is set in code that is not available.

Message 3 of 15
rhesusminus
in reply to: vladop

Well, it's saved somewhere because I get different default values for different projects Smiley Happy

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 15
drathak

This is only after the upgrade to 2015?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 5 of 15
rhesusminus
in reply to: drathak

Hm... I'm not sure really... I'll fire up a virtual machine with AcadE 2014 and have a check...

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 6 of 15
rhesusminus

Nah, same in AcadE 2014.

Running the IECDEMO project, I get a default value of 2.000. If I change this to 2.5, and insert another location box, it's back at 2.000.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 7 of 15
drathak

Just checked and it is that way on 2013 too.  Mine seems to be locked on 0.15.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 8 of 15
sonny3g

It is ugly, but, I had to set the default textsize variable to control the default text size on my location boxes without having to maually set it when I used the location box function.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 9 of 15
drathak
in reply to: sonny3g

It is definately project specific.  A different project defaults to 0.2".

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 10 of 15
sonny3g

My experience has been that it is a drawing setting, not a project setting.  However, it may be something that a specific project setting can change in individual drawings?

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 11 of 15
vladop

My problem with this dialog is that I have to change Description Insertion Point to "Bottom" every time.

Message 12 of 15
dougmcalexander
in reply to: vladop

I agree that this is annoying.  I requested years ago for the software to remember last settings.  For example, when I set my sort order for Insert from Schematic List to sort first by TAG, I wish that when I return after next startup, it would revert to the same sort format.  But it reverts to sorting first by LOC.  I wish the Location Box text height and description location would also revert to the previous settings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 13 of 15
rhesusminus
in reply to: sonny3g

As Scott wrote, the variable TEXTSIZE is the one tochange set. This is saved in the drawing, so I better make sure I put this in the template 😄

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 14 of 15
drathak

What else does that apply to though?

<frantic searching>

Looks like it would affect any new text entity.  But since with ACADE I'm not adding hardly ANY non attribute text, it's not a huge deal.  Could be when working on hybrid drawings though.

From the KB:

TEXTSIZE (System Variable)

Sets the default text height when creating new text objects.

Type:Real
Saved in:Drawing
Initial value:0.2000 (imperial) or 2.5000 (metric)

TEXTSIZE has no effect if the current text style has a fixed height.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 15 of 15

Rhesusminus is correct.  It is controlled by the default text size for the drawing, because the location box description is dumb text.  You can prove this by double-clicking the description after the location box is inserted.  

Warning: If you copy a circuit with a location box and edit the box to assign a different location code/description, there is a bug that sometimes prevents the box description text from updating.  You have to double-click the actual text and edit it.  Don't worry about the location code attributes for the components within the box; they will update.  It's just the description text that doesn't always update.  It has always been this way.  It's just too easy to work around so I've never bothered Autodesk about it.

Save the default text size in your AutoCAD Electrical drawing template so it defaults with each new drawing. For an ANSI B size it should be 0.0625 minimum, ANSI D size is 0.125.  Type TEXTSIZE at the command prompt, press enter, type in the desired default text height, and press enter. 

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost