AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default path on Insert component-browse

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lturley
912 Views, 4 Replies

Default path on Insert component-browse

When a component is inserted using the 'browse' button it initaly defaults to a directory on my local drive. Can I set a default path for a new location ie. A network symbol library. Once the first component is inserted it does default to that directory for susequent inserts.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rstein
in reply to: lturley

You can absolutely change this location. It involves editing a text file that usually sits on your local drive in the following directory C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2006\R16.2\enu\Support\AeData. The file is typically called WD.ENV (Can be named anything with a .ENV extension).

The .ENV file is used to set up some Project Environment Settings. You can edit this file with notepad. Once you find and open the file, scroll through the text file and look for the following string:
*WD_INSCOMPDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting path for INS SCHEM COMP browse button

The first step is to remove the "*" if it is there. This is used to tell AutoCAD Electrical that this line is "commented" out. (Not used).
The next step is to replace the path after the "WD_INSCOMPDLG," with the network path that you want to have the browse button bring you too.

Then you would save and close the file, start AutoCAD Electrical and check your results.

Thanks
Rob Stein
www.robstein.blogs.com
Message 3 of 5
bpeakeVVHRY
in reply to: rstein

Hi,

I know I am ten years late but want to thank you because this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Brian

Message 4 of 5
daniel.poeGG2QF
in reply to: rstein

any chance that you have an update file path for AE 2020?

Message 5 of 5
rhesusminus
in reply to: lturley

Look on your documents folder.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost